new to diabetes. needs some advise

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi guys.

i was diagnosed with Diabetes on friday evening. left with a few questions. i went for an eye test and it was revealed that i could not read at all. she sent me to get a blood sugar test in the pharmacy's. the 1st reading was 28.4, the 2nd wasa 28.0 i was sent to my GP and the 3rd test was 30.8 it was late on friday so i was prescribe metformin and sent home. i not feeling so great tonight. what should i do. please assist if you experience with diabetes.

d

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It could be because your sugars are so high and the metformin has bought your sugars down, if you are not happy I would see your doctor asap, and make sure you do cut right down on sugars if need sugar for coffee try splenda very good but a little exspensive , you can cook with it they have recipes you can down load also join diabetes UK have free leaflets
    • Posted

thanks Marilyn. i've called 111 as well and am waiting to hear back from them. just alittle concerned for tonight. eyes are getting worse and my memory is going to pot.
  • Posted

Good evening. I would suggest you make an urgent appointment with your GP and ask for a referral to the local diabetic centre in your area. Also you could go to any walk in centre or urgent care centre/A &E. This is serious and your high sugars need to be brought under control as soon as possible.
    • Posted

my surgery opens at 8am. i'll call first thing. i'll also check now where the closest diabetic clinic is and get their number for tomorrow morning. just worries about getting through tonight.
  • Posted

Hi.

​I didnt reply because you have been given good advise so far.

​How are you doing today did you manage to get an appointment to see a doctor or get to a&e. I hope so and hope you have been treated better by someone else than you were in the first place.

Good luck.

Sue

• Posted

Metformin takes some time, several days to get to a working level in your system.

At least it did for me.  One thing I have learned is every one is different and similar at the same time.  Getting started with the companion is hard. There are a lot of changes that you must make to work at control. I say it that way because as soon as you think you have control the Diabeties changes and you learn all over again. I was on Metformin for 10 years before mine esclated to Insulin.

Loose the sugar and carbs.  I would think that the Dr would have you testing your morning blood sugar. Testing supplies can get expensive, find out if your insurance will pay for it.

• Posted

Hi d,

I do not know if any of the following will be of help to you.

I was diagnosed T2 back in Mar this year my blood test result was high, not as high as yours but enough to make me think. I was put on 3 metformin daily.

The action I took was as follows:

Stopped all carbs, potatoes, rice, pasta, whitebread, biscuits and any vegetable that grows below groung i.e. carrots, parsnips etc.

Stopped eating food cooked in batter - Fish and Chips one example.

Eat lots of cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli and peas and other similar veg.

I have always avoided sugar in drinks as well as sweet drinks.

Purchased a self testing blood sugar kit and took readings 5 times a day. Kept detailed records of my readings and alongside a food diary so that over time I could see how different foods affected me.

I also purchased a book by Dr David Cavan-Reverse Diabetes, this book helped me to understand in detail the aspects of diabetes. It was a great help.

I took up a Hi Fat low carb diet, and REGULAR light exercise, a 15min walk twice a day.

I was retested in Jun and my reading was 42 about 6mmol/l, so as you can tell it has taken me 5 months to get to a reasonbale level. Tested again in Oct reading 46 or about 6.4mmol/L.

We are all different and it is was a bit difficult for me at times, however what helped was me doing the blood tests daily and seeing the figures come down.

I am now down to 2x500m Metformin a day and hope to reduce that further in time.

I hope you found my experiances helpful and trust you get your levels down - it does take time.

G

• Posted

Welcome to the club, (tounge in cheek).  Your readings are high, with out knowing when you last ate, what you ate or the time between the reading anything would be a WAG, wild assed guess. I do not do that with Diabetes. What did your Dr. tell you to do? Prescribe medicine?  What is your age, weight and excersise level? Do you test your own blood?

You will learn one thing, everyone has triggers, and not always the same. For me I can eat potatoes or chips( french fries). Can not eat white bread or white rice. You need to aquire a testing kit and start taking readings. I test three times a day, semi well controlled.   Do not be fooled that it can be well controlled for long. This is a activity that you will learn to deal with, or suffer the conquenses.

I strongly recommend that you get back to the Dr. ASAP.  I have been that high but I KNEW why. Be sure to be fasting 12 hour before they take any readings.

• Posted

I'm nearly 70 and have had diabetes for 20 years.  when I was diagnosed my sugar levels were 22mml and they wanted to put me onto insulin straight away but I was on Metformin for 8 years before I went onto insulin and my sugar levels are much better controlled but sometimes things go wrong and my sugar levels either go higher or lower for no apparent reason.  One thing I would say about the eyesight, when I was diagnosed I needed glasses for distance but I was told not to get new glasses until my  sugar levels were down to normal and now I need glasses for reading.
  • Posted

Best tip is to check your BSLs frequemtly and learn to equate them with how you are felling..  Everyone is different but for me nauseousness tells me I'm high, when I'm low I feel entirely different - just can't explain the feeling but I know.   .

No reason to be scared, I look at it this way:   I'm a control freak when it comes to self, so as a diabetic I get to control my BSLs instead of having my body do it for me automatically I am in control!.   You need to experiment with different foods s so you know what they do to your BSLs, for me bananas where a no no, but as already said everyone is different.   I'm now on insulin so now I can eat whatever I like, I just count my carbs before injecting.   If your levels are in the 20s you need assistance - now.   Bottom line:   test, test. test!

• Posted

I found it really annoying when I was first diagnosed with type 2 that the information was all about what I shouldn't eat - much better to tell me what I could eat!  So for snacks when you're starving raw salad veg or nuts (not salted) if you really crave something sweet a few dried fruits like raisins.  Use Marmite or nut butters instead of jam and marmalade.  Always try to eat wholemeal pasta or bread not white.  Remember to try to eat more protein and fibre to slow down the body's processing of carbs.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi , I know what you mean, I was given an arm full of booklets etc. But yes youve got it in one. Make sure you dont go too long without food or healthy snacks and have good meals each day. Keep a diary of what you eat and check your blood to see what causes highs in blood glucose for you, It doesnt always go the way you expect it to. Good Luck everybody.

Sue

• Posted

Hi, I am kind of new to diabetes too. Tonight i took my metformin for the second day. i got diarrhea and sweaty and felt i was going to pass out. I took my blood sugar and it was 105, i think i got like that because my sugar was running high. I think you might not be feeling well for the same reason. Try to calm down and rest. Be sure to drink a lot of water so you don't dehydrate. If you don't feel better in a day or two you should call your doctor. I hope you have a meter to test your blood so it does not go to low. I hope this helps a little. Let me know how you are doing.
  • Posted

Hi i take metformin too. The doctor started me on 500mg once a day. I got severe diarrhea and sweaty and thought i was going to pass out. I cut it in half for about 3 days and then took the 500mg, and i was fine. Try taking a quarter of a teaspoon of cinimmon to bring it down. You can also eat a dill pickle and that will help bring it down. Hope it helps. Also try to relax worry will keep it high.
  • Posted

I also take cinnamon in the form of tablets but also chromium supplement and now I have started taking turmeric tablets occasionally since part of diabetes is inflammation.  I have found this to be good for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.