Anxiety & IBS vicious cycle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. 

I had (what I assume was) a tummy bug a few weeks ago. Not a particularly dreadful one, but my few hours of diarrhoea coincided exactly with the few hours our toilet was out of action due to building work on our house! So I spent a horrendous time dashing in the car to the nearest shop with a toilet, and then knocking on my next door neighbours door as well... Anyway, a couple of days later I started to be anxious that I might have something seriously wrong. The following day anxiety and agitation hit me like a brick wall. Since then, I've had six weeks where most (but not all) days have followed a similar pattern - urgent visits to the loo all morning, accompanied by varying degrees of anxiety. During the day I cannot face much food, but the anxiety and tummy seem to settle during the afternoon, so that most evenings I feel pretty normal. Only for the same cycle to start up again the next day. I should say that I am on antidepressants (Venlafaxine) and since March have also been on Mirtazapine, which I feel have done me more harm than good.  So I have just last week started (with GPs blessing) to wean of the Mirtazapine. Obviously I realise this could also be having an effect on my anxiety. I'm just so fed up of the vicious cycle I'm in, and cannot seem to break it.  

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get that. I'm stuck in your circle with you. I'm not going to go into my whole story, it would take forever but I just wanted to say I you're not alone and I feel your anxiety and stress. I'm reassured that I am not the only one. Much love and good luck. I send you positive thoughts and vibes. Xxx
  • Posted

Coming off mirtazapine gave me same symptoms. Loo, palpitations, retching, loo then all dies down in afternoon. Could eat nothing. Off them four weeks now and on sertraline instead and everything finally settled down.
  • Posted

Also on quetiapine which works for me. 25 mg in morning and 50mg at night. No more morning anxiety.
  • Posted

Thanks for reassurance that I'm not he only one. Carolyn may not ask how long it took to come off Mirtazapine and doses?
    • Posted

My withdrawal was a disaster. I was on 30mg for 7 months came down to 15 for 2 months. My doc told me to take one every second day for two weeks then start sertraline. Since been told in hospital, yes attended twice as felt so bad, that was wrong information. We trust medical staff. I had been great on mirtazapine and only wanted to change as piling on weight. Been five weeks now of adjustment. Definitely think quetiapine helped the most. Why were you on two antidepressants?
  • Posted

Scrub that last comment lol! Carolyn may I ask how long it took to come off it...
    • Posted

Two weeks off it but withdrawal side effects lasted another two weeks.
    • Posted

Hi Sadiejayne

Alarm bells are ringing when I read the advice being given is it takes 2 weeks to WD and 2 weeks extra for more side effects, if you will pardon me for not agreeing here.  I know it's hard and we are all different, but as you have been on Mirt' since March, 8 months? then I would do a very slow WD if I were you, if you want to avoid more anxiety and stomach upsets, insomnia etc ... for an informed choice you may be interested - there is a very good website that explains and I will add it following this post - when I put it up the Moderator will remove my post and hopefully put it back on again later.  

There are many folk from this forum who have tried to WD quickly and suffered terribly, having to retake Mirt' then becomming physically and  psycologically dependant on it for fear of further WD symptoms, so best get it right first time.  Bear in mind also that full WD symptoms can take up to 2 weeks to appear - as it says in the article below.  

It sounds unusual that the stomach issues suddenly started when you were settled on both drugs, tell me if I'm wrong, not having made an adjustment to the dosage or adding anything else into the mix?

I hope youu will soon feel more settled, best wishes 

C x

• Posted

It wasn't advice I was giving, it was an account of what I was told to do by doc. I agree that it may have been better to go down slower but I followed docs instructions, which he still insists was correct.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies. I only just had a look, so the post with link is still being moderated... I was on 30mg Mirtazapine until one week ago, when I reduced to 15mg. I think I will stay on this dose for a week or two, until I hopefully see the tummy and anxiety stabilise a bit more. Tummy not too bad today. And yes, there are potentially other factors involved. I had been tolerating the Mirt up until six weeks ago. The 'tummy bug' happened at the same time as I started a new box of tablets - from  a different manufacturer. I obv didn't realise at the time. When I investigated later I found a yellow colouring was in the list of ingredients. I know that I am allergic to some yellow colourings, so I have been trying (with limited success) to find a brand not containing it. Of course this just adds to the mix of 'what changed and when' etc etc. It's never simple is it?! Over-analysing is another thing I'm guilty of, clutching at straws to find the answer... All I know is that I'm currently in a bit of a vicious circle. I'm hypersensitive to adrenaline, so that doesn't help. Sorry about the waffle
    • Posted

Hi 

No not waffling at all.  I'm hoping that you don't suddenly have an onset of WD at the 2 week point of tapering as you did a 50% going to 15 from 30, fingers crossed for you, but if you do have a reaction at that point at the very least you'll know what it is.

And yes, Carolyn79, my doctor said the same, 2 WEEKS !!! quoting the apparent "guidance" of their "pharmaceutical advisors" being the Maudsley Hospital here in UK - I cannnot believe that and in fact I gave her a copy of the 10% I had printed off, hoping that it may rub off a little !!

Sadie, I would strong recommend trying to get your doctor, or ask your pharmacist to track down the original Mirt' you took with out the colouring - that's the trouble with the generic meds, I'm sure the pharmacy would help you, they're in the business of helping people get well afterall.  Are you in the UK ??  I deffo' think I'd work at it - I don't think you're over-analysing, just taking care of yourself I'd say.

Let us know how you get on, keep posting here, and we'll help in any way we can.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. Yes I'm in the UK. Yes I reduced from 30mg to 15mg last Wed.  But then I (stupidly) decided to skip altogether on Thu and Sat. I have taken 15mg on Sun and Mon. I think I am now having WD as the anxiety is now hitting the roof! I'm really struggling tbh. I think I'm going to stay on 15mg for a bit, to see if I stabilize a bit. Does that sound right to you? I'm desperate for some relief, so in your experience, do you think if I stay on the 15mg I should calm down a bit sooner rather than later?
    • Posted

Hi S

No I wouldn't say to stay at 15mg, I would go back a step or two as I think the WD 'could be' really bad ... you've gone down too fast hun, no wonder you're anx' is so high.  I think if you try and stay at 15 it may well be too much for you, or anyone.  I would go back to 30mg tonight, (I totally understand you don't want to) and THEN WAIT to stabilise, it may take a few days, but hey, it's got to be better than this - a slow wd is tried and tested.

Are you on facebook at all??

C

• Posted

Ok yes  that may be a good idea. Yes I'm on Facebook. My real name is different though. Can I search for you or I can send a private message. 

A lot of the probs with needing advice from the professionals is that they just don't have the time to properly talk through what's best (I'm talking GPs here cos that's all I'm currently under). And getting referrals takes weeks or months. Right NOW is when I need help lol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.