Very young child - HSP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My little boy has been diagnosed with possible HSP and I am looking for some advice from anyone with a young child who has experienced this. He is a year and a half so very young. After a chest infection cleared, rash started as clear blisters below his knees, turned to red/purple. He occasionally vomits, seems extremely lethargic, no energy, little interest in playing and often wakes at night screaming. All tests are clear - no protein or blood in urine, no temperatures, blood pressure normal. Struggle to get him to eat and drink and it is a battle keeping him hydrated. He is obviously too young to tell me what is hurting him and it is a real guessing game for us to find out where his pain is. No obvious swelling in joints. Just looking for advice as we haven't really gotten anywhere with GP or hospitals and it is very heartbreaking seeing him suffer and not be able to help him 😔

TIA

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My son was in officially diagnosed with HSP earlier this year. He just turned 9. He isn't as young as your boy, but I was still very concerned. He had all these seemingly random symptoms that, when put together, described HSP to a "t." I had never heard of it before. Our sons began after a pretty sever case of strep throat. It started with the rash, that to me, looked like chicken pox, but on his legs (which is not characteristic of chicken pox) but as it spread, it grew in ring-like shapes similar to ring worm, and he couldn't stop scratching it, so we put fungal cream on it regularly and after a week or 2, we thought all was well because it began to fade (even though it spread all over his legs before it began fading). During this time, he also complained of tummy aches, but we just thought he was having some normal indigestion. Then, occasionally, he also would mention his lower legs, near his ankles or knees aching, but me being optimistic just assumed it was normal growing pains in his shins. Then the rash came back, all over again with a vengeance. We took him to the clinic where my father works as a nurse and the doctor immediately said it was HSP. When I looked up all the symptoms, that was exactly what he had. We did his urine testing regularly for the first few weeks and also had a blood test done, all came back fine. It's been about 9 months since his diagnosis and while he still gets the rash every single time he gets a cough/cold/sneeze/sniffle, he rarely had any other symptoms, outside the occasional tummy ache that we give him Tylenol for. What you describe sounds similar, but also different, with the vomiting and blisters, but every person reacts differently. If this is what your doctor diagnosed it as, then there isn't much you can do, other than let him rest, give him otc meds for aches, and lots of love. It's hard to watch our babies go through things we can't do anything about. :-( Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do but monitor it. My sons comes back regularly, but the only mains symptom is the rash. I hope this helps.
  • Posted

It's probably tummy ache as well as joint pain.  Low (half) doses of paracetemol and ibuprofen regularly or every 3 - 4 hours (be careful to keep within 24 hour max dose), especially at bedtime will keep the pain down.
  • Posted

Hi.  Thank you for your information.  I am on day 6 of my 4 year old sons symptoms.  Last Wednesday the hives started.  When I was changing him into pajamas on Thursday night, the hives were huge and inflames, not normal hives only some were 3" in diameter. Thursday night we took him to Urgent care= no answers.  Friday AM to his Dr= no answers.  Saturday the hives appeared better, but like bruises late Saturday night.  We googled everything, found HSP, and compared to other diagnosis were hoping it was HSP.  Sunday mid morning he got up from a late breakfast and was crying in pain it hurt him to stand.  After nap time I took him to the ER.  From that ER we were picked up via ambulance by Children's Hospital of Orange County, CHOC.  They diagnosed it right away, but had to keep us in the hospital until my son could put weight on his legs again.  Labs were good, no sign of it in his kidneys, and it did not affect his mood or appetite.  I pushed for relase from the hospital last night, when he could put weight on his legs because he was improving a lot.  He is back to walking around, though he prefers to play on his knees.  He states he feels good, but i see his hesitation sometimes with his movements.

Is there anything I could or should do for him now?  What do you wish you found out earlier with this?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.