Diverticulitis vs IBS-D

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay, so I had diarrhea with no cramping for what seemed like two weeks for no reason.  Everything I ate triggered it.  Then I got the familiar DD pain in my lower left, and put myself on a liquid/soft diet and started on my stand by antibiotics.  I got a little better after a week, but still had the diarrhea.  I went to the doctor.

He told me to stop the antibiotic since I seemed to have relieved the pains, and upped my probiotics, put me on an antispasmodic and gas reliever (because now I had excess wind as well).  Told me to return in 3 days if no relief.

i continued to slowly improve, but I went back to the doc because the diarrhea was making me weak.  He gave me a powder full of electrolytes, etc., and told me to start adding proteins to my diet.  He thought I might need an ultrasound to rule out a partial bowel obstruction, but the ultrasound clinic couldn't fit me in and told me to call in three days.

So now, naturally, I no longer have diarrhea.  My stools are soft, but not bothersome.  What IS bothersome is the gas.  I do have IBS-D (diarrhea prominent as opposed to constipation), and I believe that has been the problem here.

Do I go for the ultrasound anyway?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

YES, you DO go for an ultra sound, and anything else they suggest,

How are you going to find out what the problem is if you don't go rolleyes 

• Posted

Yes you should go and possibly ha e any other treatment they offer. They prob s an hour Pancras as well that also connected to digestive problems re the. bile duct!
    • Posted

They will prob check your Pancras as that's connected to DIGESTIVE PROBLEMS IT BREAKS DOWN YOUR FOOD WITH ACID PRODUCED BY THE BILE DUCT
    • Posted

Thanks.  Yes, I am indecisive about it because every hour that passes I feel better.  I took an antacid and the gas is gone.  Seemed to work better than the simethicone.

I've had my gallbladder out already, but I was burping like when I had gallbladder problems.  Guess I gotta go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.