MRI 14 weeks pregnant

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm having a brain MRI in 2 weeks and I will be 14 weeks pregnant. Has anyone had one and suffered any complications or is all OK with it? I've read online that it's safe but I would like an actual real life experience and not just some statistic online.

Regards,

Leah

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

MRI uses magnetic resonance to make up the images. The CT scanner is the one you would NOT be going to use as you are pregnant as that uses heavy doses of radiation known as Xrays to make the images.

You need to tell the radiologist tecnichian you are pregnant (they may want to use a contrast through an IV in your arm) but there is very little risk to your baby with an MRI.

I had one years ago when I didn't even know I was pregnant and it was to my head like yours will be, and my son is a perfectly normal child. The machine will only be at your head not your whole body so rest assured it will be fine.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

They know already.

Do they use contrast all the time and what are the conditions for it? I hate needles :S

Regards,

Leah

• Posted

No, they only use contrast if they suspect something might be there. Often it is gadolinium they will inject. Being so early in the pregnancy that is not such a good idea. However they can do a scan without it. Some things show up much better with contrast but it can be done without it.

Often they will do a run without it and if they then think it needs contrast then they will put it in the vein. But I don't think in your case they will use contrast as I said.

Oh, and just because they know already doesn't mean the technician on the day does. ALWAYS reiterate everything to anyone you meet at a hospital or MRI etc. (from one who knows from other incidents I had!)

Hope it all goes well!

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.