I'm new and looking for answers- overwhelmed :(

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there -  in August of this year I was admitted to the hospital for a diagnosis of diverticulitis and a perforated bowel.  It was pretty serious and I about bought the farm.  Thankfully I was able to avoid surgery – was in the hospital for about 10 days, on lots of antibiotics, sent home with what to eat and what to not.

I was released from the hospital August 31 and as of October 1 I had lost 68 pounds .  It was crazy .

i've been out of the hospital almost 2 months and I've gained back 13 of the 68 I lost and so what's happening today is bazaar and I'm trying to peel myself off the ceiling.

yesterday I woke up feeling tired and achy all over .  I was running a low-grade fever,  had a little bit of the chills etc,  A stomachache and just feeling crummy, no diarrhea , in fact I was a little constipated which was a little bit worrying . 

I continue to take my probiotics, drink water, and have managed to eat some sweet potato and yogurt .

but I'm not terribly hungry – I think it's out of fear.

I do not have the classic left-sided pain but I do hear a lot of gurgling in my stomach, I have a lot of gas, and I'm just worried .

Never in 1 million years did I think I would be monitoring my poop and be worried about every ache and pain .

does anyone else feel like this ?

no fever today at all.  The fatigue has left.  Still gassy and gurgly.

I wonder if this was just a 24 hour bug?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was very similar to you, plus an abscess.

Only difference really was that I was discharged with no plan of what to eat.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this but I've felt like you at least once a week for a year now.

Like you, panic and anxiety set in and it's take a while to get over that.

I now have IBS which is actually a relief it was diverticulitis again.

I'd ask you doctor to test you to see if you have IBS.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I too had a huge abscess 24 cm- can you believe that.

I will call my doctor tomorrow.

Thank you Andy.

• Posted

with diverticulitis you should never get constipated,if all the symptoms have gone and you can gently press your tummy, no fever,maybe you shouldnt worry.there most probably is a food reaction so monitor what you eat get lots of soluble fiber,sweet potato.Yum.butternut squash, greens give you gas but you need the fiber.Hearing stories like yours frightens me to death.got up the other monday with cripling abdo pain no diarhoea at all lots of girgling and rolling find out I have an inflamed over working bowel 5 weeks later with steroids and 3rd course of antibiotics feels a bit better.so there seams to be different ways it presents its self. anything to do with your abdo you should always check with your GP dont leave it or listen to non professional folk about food it can only be there personal experience. Best of luck honey     sue
  • Posted

Don't mess with this. I had a perforation last april. Had a washout laparoscopically. Had a date set for elective sigmoid colon resection and had another perforation before then. Had emergency open surgery to remove 18 cm of sigmoid colon and also had an ileostomy and had to have a bag for two months. I am 47 and never had any health issues. I really am lucky to be alive.  I just had ileostomy reversed in August and I am doing well. Have the surgery electively....please. And be very careful with any bowel preps. NO HARSH STUFF. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.