Valium effects/addiction

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I am desperate for some advice for my daughter.  We live in Spain at the moment and help out here is pretty elusive! She is 22, suffers with bad anxiety depression.  Had been smoking weed since she was 18, is also on Escitalopram and is now taking between 20 and 40 mgs per day of valium.  She struggles to make it through the day and therefore she will not contemplate reducing her dose at moment.  ALso she has the occasional drink which I know is dangerous with the Valium.  Need help as not sure if all these things are making her worse and is that amount each day dangerous. Any advice would be gratefully received 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sharon.  This response is probably going to be of little use really, however, it is clear that your daughter needs help ASAP to,get her addictions and dependencies under control  The only way, I would imagine, is that she be admitted to a withdrawal programme where counselling and behaviour changes can be properly addressed.  I don't know anything about what is available in Spain but possibly a private clinic might signpost and advise you...if not for private care then signpost to other aid.  I am sorry for all that she and you are going through but with the high doses of Valium which she has become dependent on, along with other meds and alcohol there would seem little that you can personally do to stop her journey on her road to self destruction.  Try and seek advise from your Spanish Health Care services.  There surely must be a mental health care programme in their system...just find out how to access it ASAP. 

Pat D 

• Posted

Thank you Pat, your response is helpful.  I am hoping to get her back to UK soon where I am confident she will get the help she needs.  She promises me daily that she will reduce the quantity of the valium but I can't be certain as I don't live with her.  It is a big worry I am hoping that I will get some professional advice on here.  When you say 'signpost' , is there something else I can do to get specific help?? Thanks, it's just nice to talk to someone about it.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, might be a good idea for you to make a kind of "diary" of how much alcohol your daughter is using...the quantities of drugs she is using and when (like times of day she uses anti anxiety meds).  I think it's a normal,reaction for,her to say she is "going to stop, or lessen her use) but the truth is she probably can't without the right help.  Valium needs a medically supervised withdrawal,programme, especially with those used to high doses and it should not be attempted in a cavelier manner by the user, especially when they use other substances.  

I am glad that you ar coming back to,the U.K. And will be able to speak to a UK GP, in the first instance.  Hope your daughter will be with you and can attend that appointment too...it will kind of underline the dangers of the journey she finds herself on and possibly be a help on her road to,recovery...which will not offer  a quick fix but a long term programme of change for her.  Good luck, both of you.  It's not going to be easy but will. be rewarding. 

Pat xxx

• Posted

I drink with Benzos. It depends on how she reacts. Smoking weed is better that these pills.

Go to Benzo Buddies forum..extremely helpful,knowledgeable people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.