I was excited to read the posts concerning pain on the left side under the rib cage.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered from this for two years.  I have other issues, several herniated cervical discs and have had a great deal of alternative treatment.  I have been able to function fairly well until about two years ago began experiencing pain under the left shoulder blade, very sharp, sometimes travelling, kind of spreading across the back.  A year ago last September I had a nerve release in my left shoulder since nerve conduction tests revealed a compressed nerve which the pain dr believed could be the culprit.  During the surgery my left lung was pierced, collapsed and filled with two liters of fluid.  I wakened on a ventilator and needed a chest tube for several days to drain the lung.  I did made a strong recovery and numberous chest x-rays show that my lung recovered.  But the pain has continued.  It is not constant, but intermittent and it is always present following exertion.  I used to attend water excercise classes every day and I now find the pressure of the water feels the way I think shingles must feel!   I would love ideas from others - I have also had massage, acupunture, etc.  For the last nine months I have had monthly cortisone injections in that area.  This helps more than anything but I am worried about the amount of steriod in my system.  Thank you in advance for responding!!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Kathyrn:

I have acute thoracic neuropathy from lung surgery. It happens 1 out of 100 times they say. I was always an athletic person and walked 6 miles a day on my treadmill...besides working 80 and up hours weekly. Now I'm on full disability and feel like I'm 90!!!! Do repetitive tasks make your side "cramp' ? Doctor's who do this surgery and this happens DO NOT Admit for a moment that this has happened. Please go to another lung surgeon and find out if this has happened to you. It is an extemely dibilitating problem. I had the 2nd best surgeon in thus country finally tell me what my issue was after 8 agonizing years of this If this is what you issue is, I can tell you that it will only progressively get worse. I also have a dystrophy you can also get from surgery called reflex sympathetic dystrophy. This is where the sympathetic nerves that tell your brain you're injured don't turn off once you're healed. I have this in my chest wall. There are blocks you can do for both of these issues however, with the dystrophy, needles, further injury, etc. Can exasperate the dystrophy. I would also find out about this as well. Hopefully neither are your issue for God's sake. I don't want to alarm you , but it doesn't sound like the doctor did such a bang up job on you. Seek a second opinion . The earlier you are able to address this if it is nerve damage, the better chances you have of repairing the issue . The longer you wait the less and less hope and the more pain will follow. I hope this isn't your case but please do get a second opinion.

• Posted

Dear Beth Thank you so much for replying.  I did have the pain before the shoulder surgery (which led to the lung problems.)  However I will certainly look into that.  This definitely feels like some kind of neuropathy - the difficulty seems to be finding the origin.  Right now sitting at the typewriter, the pain is throbbing/pulsing in my left mid back - extremely painful.  I feel so badly you have suffered for all these years!!  Yes repetetive tasks are painful - I feel as though my entire left side is less reliable- I have tripped a number of times in the last year - always to the left.  I apreciate  your post very much.  It is very difficult to see your life changing because of pain while you struggle for answers.  Thank you!
  • Posted

Hello Kathryn,

I was interested to know why this was posted into the Stroke and TIA Forum?

• Posted

I don't know if this was the issue for Kathryn but when I posted about the pain on the left side of the rib cage , it posted on the Stroke and Tia forum too. I wasn't certain why ...Maybe it was because I was new and fumbled? However, nerve pain is very much like strokes and TIAS in a way maybe?? As you can tell..I'm NOT a doctor or a technology wiz..lol Is there a big issue with treading upon other forums? I can see where you would like to separate issues but I have found more answers than you can imagine on this forum than others. My apologies if it my ignorance has offended anyone.
    • Posted

DearBeth  I had the same experience.  I simply enterered the forum and ended up in the stroke and Tia forum.  I'm not sure how this happened and I am also sorry if this offend anyone.  I'm not sure how to change to a different forum.  I will work on it.   Thank you for responding to me!  Please keep writing.
    • Posted

It didn't offend me and I didn't mean to upset anyone. I couldn't  quite see how you would get the help you needed on a Stroke forum. If you've found help using this forum, I'm really pleased for you. 
    • Posted

I haven't read any of the other posts but my husband had a stroke at Xmas and when he came home after two weeks he developed excruciating pain under his rib & in his back and it turned out to be Pneumonia & Pleurisy. Three days in the DDU (Daily diagnostic Unit) at the JR on a drip and he made a full recovery. Still recovering from the minor stroke though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.