IBS or appendix...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

i have a dull  at my lower left abdoman, it doesnt hurt much (i can do all my normal things) i press down slightly to the right just below my belly button and theres no pain but the more right i go there is pain (more by my hip bone) any ideas what that could be? i also have pain right on the side of my body, in line with my belly button going arounf to my back?.

I dont know if its my appendix, IBS? or somthing else? im going to the doctors tomorrow.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I suffer from IBS, and although i had it under control, I started to suffer the symptoms you are describing. I went to the docs and after examining me, I was sent to a consultant and he booked me in for an endoscopy. The result was diverticlosis. It is usually on this side that the diverticuli form in the bowel. I also have this under control - it is not as scary as you think, so don't despair. I am glad you are seeing you doc tomorrow. He/She will put your mind at rest. 
    • Posted

i do worry and this pain is byu my hip area and moves to my flank and back sad

• Posted

Yep sounds the same. Your doc will give you an examination and maybe some blood tests. You are doing the right thing. Let us know how you get on tomorrow.
    • Posted

if i press where it hurts its also tender?
  • Posted

Sounds like you have a spastic or inflamed bowel from all the pushing to go to the bathroom all the time. Anyway, its good to see the doctor to make sure its nothing else. I get a dull throbbing pain down my lower left side of my stomach and it is a spastic bowel overworking.

Lynn

• Posted

the pain is lower right to the middle of my flank and back and im not pushing from going to the loo

• Posted

Then I really don't know and it is best to check it out with the doctor. Hope all goes well. You should stop pressing down on your stomach though as you can aggrivate it normally by doing that and cause it to feel tender.

Lynn

• Posted

You are doing what you should do and seeing your doctor. The best person to offer you advice. For info though I don't think it's your appendix, that's a bit higher up. You haven't mentioned your bowel movements whether they change from hard to loose etc, whether you go regularly and whether or not you experience pain before, during or after.  If so you need to discuss all these things with the doctor.  Good Luck.
  • Posted

Unfortunately I think pain can be anywhere in the belly with IBS,but also mimics a lot of other things.That is the problem I am having now,trying to get to the bottom of it.My pain is lower belly in the pelvic area and sometimes on the right as well.I just assumed it was gas pains on that side.
  • Posted

Thanks all. got an app with the doctor at 5.10pm tomorrow, hope it doesnt get worse by then sad

I now have pain all across my lower back...so no idea what it could be sad

• Posted

Good luck!!Keep us posted on how you make out 😊
  • Posted

thank you...got app tonight so hoprfully she can tell me whats wrong.

the pain is now middle of my back near my right plant, its tender to press.

i do have a mot of wind also sad

• Posted

If dr thinks there is any chance it might be appendicitis they will probably send you to hospital to be checked.

Good luck

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi

I've just got back from the doctor and she doesn't know what be causing it. My using sample was clear apart from a grave of blood (sending some away to be tested in the Morning) I'm very tender around my hip/ovarie area and my flank and back (near my flank belly button level)

She's put me on IBS tablets but to go back Monday of the pain hasn't gone, then she's referring me to have an Abdo scan (ovaries)

Any ideas?

• Posted

I have diverticulitis (pockets form in weak spots of the colon and can get infected when particles of food/waste get stuck in them) and it sounds like you're describing excess air in your digestive system.  I get it all the time.  For some people they create more gas when digesting food than others and it can cause pain and discomfort.  mine goes from the middle front of my abdomen, right around to the spine.  Most sufferers of DIVI have their pain on the left side but there are a few who present on the right..I am one of them.  I was only diagnosed in August but since joining this forum have learned a lot!

Do you find you get it after eating certain foods?  Divi doesn't really like seeds, skins, nuts or onions...to name a few.  Of course it's different for everybody.  What's bad for one is fine for another.  That's the most frustrating thing about it.  no clear path or rules and figuring out what you can and cannot eat is like russian roulette.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.