Aftermath of prostate resection

Posted , 3 users are following.

A  fortnight ago I had a TURP. Unfortunately the op was curtailed halfway as, due to my heart irregularity, the anaesthetist called a halt. Afterwards  I had clots which was agonising and required very painful bladder flushes. After 8 days the bleeding stopped and, as instructed, I resumed taking blood thinning tablets (Dabigatran) as I am in permanent AF. However, the bleeding resumed so I stopped the tablets. Two days later, again the bleeding stopped and after another two days I began taking the Dabigatran again. So far now, the urine is clear, flow is reasonable, though not great and peeing is no longer as painful as it was at first. Perhaps I will need another op in the future for completion though the AjF might prove risky.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had a TURP 2 years ago that was like medieaval torture and it did not improve urination.

I had a PAE in June and it was easy, painless, no cathers, no beeding, and I can pee like I was 20.

Don't go to a urologist go to a vascular surgeon that does PAE if you need to have another procedure.

• Posted

Hi Bill,

After the PAE, how long did it take for significant improvement to start and over how long of a period did did you keep improving (until you had reached all of the improvement that you experienced)?

Thanks a lot,

Steve

• Posted

It seems like it was about 10 days that urination starts to improve.

They said that was highly unusual.

Within in a month it was very noticeable.

It has been just now 6 months and doing really well.

quality of life is just so much better.

I would say that within 3 months that I topped out.

I don't see a down side as long as you can get medicare and your supplemental to pay.

Bill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.