In the USA and getting bunion operation for both feet next month...Any help preparing?!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey everyone!

I've been reading a lot of discussions on double bunion operation on this board. I'm going in for my op at the end of next month, right after Christmas (getting both feet done) and I feel I might need some info on how to prepare for the op as I've been told by my doctor I won't be able to bare any weight on my feet for at least 4 weeks. He was very hesitant on doing both at the same time but quite frankly, I don't want to go in twice, pay twice, and be off from work twice. Any tips, to help me deal with what's to come? What should I have on hand to help me during the day when my boyfriend is working? He said he'll buy me a scooter (I think that's what it's called) to help me get around the house when I need to use the bathroom or get something from the kitchen. I'm really nervious about getting both feet done but I'm 32yo, both feet are becoming unbearably painful. Also, my boyfriend and I plan on getting married in a yr or so and starting a family within the next two years so if I don't do this now, I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it.

Please guys, any help, advice and/or tips, will be GREATLY appreciated!

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I wish you luck because I don't know how you are going to do it with him not being there during the day and getting both feet done. I have a knee scooter that I use and you have to push off by one foot. You would be using/bending that area of the foot that would be operated on to push off.   I only had one foot done and i cant bear weight on the operated one, but I at least have one foot to balance me when I get off the scooter, to go to the bathroom or get in the shower on a shower chair.  I would think you need a motorized wheelchair and maybe go with a bed pan.

i would suggest getting a scooter ahead of time to see if you are going to be able to handle this with not using both feet.   Maybe you should try numerous times to see if you are going to be able to get off a scooter without putting any weight on either foot and lift yourself onto the toilet .Then,  back to the scooter without using your feet.  Sounds like you are going to need massive arm strength to hold yourself up through all of this.

• Posted

Buy a shower chair! And some baby wipes to clean with for the first few days. It sounds easy to use a scooter but it isn't. I had trouble getting in and out of my vehicle. You'll want to put some pillows on the floor of your vehicle to pad your bandaged feet while traveling. Get your pain meds early and ice packs. Also, the post op boots aren't comfortable, I bought large oversized cotton socks to put on over my bandage to pad my foot a bit.

I can't imagine doing both at once! I hope it all goes well and you heal quickly!

• Posted

I only had one foot done so like someone else said you have that other foot to balance on. if you're doing you'd need a wheelchair instead of a scooter most likely. good luck!
  • Posted

Thanks everyone :-( I was told by my bf's mom, that as long as I keep my feet elevated at all times (except for when I'm using the bathroom) and I take my meds before they wear off, I should be ok. Then again, she got both hers done like 30 yrs ago so I'm not sure if it was different. I'm very afraid of having to go to the bathroom a few times a day...I'm hoping since it's right after Christmas my boyfriend will be able to take care of me for the first week, but then I have to figure out how in the world I'm going to use the bathroom that second week...I'm panicking!
    • Posted

Practice everything before your op! It is difficult to balance and carry things so put your snacks and drinks close. I kept a cooler next to the bed. The first week I did little walking or crutch in just to the bathroom and back. Have everything you need for several weeks already in the house. Don't forget things to keep you occupied. And since you won't have help the full time, have an emergency contact and put your phone charger near you. The key is planning. You are going to need pillows and such to keep your feet elevated. Elevation and icing will be your best habits and will help the most. Also, my skin was very dry after surgery and I had to clean my foot with betadine after bandages came off. I had to send my hubby to buy it.
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your input! I'll start practicing now going from the living room to the bathroom on my butt. I should build enough stamina in a month and half right? :-) I'm going to be studying for my investment licenses (6, 63, and 26) so I'll make sure to have everything ready. Also, you mentioned driving before, how did you manage keeping your feet elevated while someone else drove? I ask, because my mom's birthday is December 31 and my brother will be home from the Marines so although I will be less than a week post op, it'd be nice to go see them. She lives about an hour away driving distance. Do you think I can manage it? My boyfriend would drive ofcourse. Or should I just forget about leaving my house unless it's for a follow up to the Doctor's?
    • Posted

I couldn't tolerate drives the first two weeks except the dr's visit. I felt every bump in the road. I layer across the back seat of our vehicle. And everytime I put my foot downwards it puffed up like crazy. I had to stay elevated. My problem was getting in and out all of our vehicles have some lift. Weeks 3 and 4 I put the pillow on the floor and rode up front. The cushioning really helped.
    • Posted

Alright, no drives then. How long did it take you to return to work? I have 12 wks of long term disability so I'm going to take advantage of that. But just want to prepare just in case I might have to work from home part time after the 12 weeks. I have to get set up with a laptop and everything so want to make sure I plan ahead.
    • Posted

I'm now at the beginning of my 7th week mark and walking. I feel like a puppet as though my foot isn't attached right but improving. My checkup today went well. I'm now wearing a pair of men's athletic shoes, none of mine are wide enough to accommodate my foot. I still have swelling after standing for more then 25 min.

I was laid off right after telling the church I worked for that I needed several weeks off for the surgery. They were horrible to me about needing time off. So other then worrying about finances, I am able to take my time in tecovery. I don't think I would have been able to work for a couple more weeks. My foot is healing well but it's my muscles in my ankle and leg that are weakened. I didn't expect to be so wobbly and stiff. I would encourage you to do leg lifts and ankle flexes after your 1st week. I did some but not enough and I have some muscular atrophy.

• Posted

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. Some companies just don't know how to value their employees. I had also been paying for short term disability for the past two years just preparing for this because I knew I needed to do it, I just didn't know when I was going to take the time off to get it done.
  • Posted

By two ice packs with vercro holders to wrap around your feet. These are a life saver. 

And get yourself two waterproof swower boots to keep your feet dry when you are soaking in the tub. ( Which is the best pick me up known to mankind) 😜

• Posted

This is awesome! Thanks for the tip. Now this might sound like a stupid question but I don't put the ice pack directly over my toes right? it goes more around the ankles?
    • Posted

I put one behind my knee and the other across my foot.
    • Posted

Ok thanks! I've added that to my wishlist on Amazon. 
    • Posted

The hospital or surgical center will send you home with ones you refill with ice if you ask. Ours did but I bought small ones to go behind my knee. They really helped.
    • Posted

The best of best of luck, think you are mad doing both, but admire you, I would love to know if anyone has had the keyhole surgery?
    • Posted

Mine was keyhole. One small stitch that's all. 😄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.