Warfarin and non-op cosmetic procedures

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi

Can someone tell me if it is safe for warfarin patients to undertake non-operative cosmetic/alternative therapies?

I am particuarly curious about professional teeth whitening as well as colonic irrigation.

The former is something I've wanted for a while, but I wonder if a dentist would take me as a patient.

The latter I have had before and find it helps feel less sluggish, but often places state they won't take you if you've a history of blood clots.

I am 32, on 13mg, stable INR of 2-3, and suffered a clot in my brain.

Any medical advice would be appreciated.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What do you mean by 13 mg  ally ? 

Im not sure dentists  like working with us warfarin folks ..they don't like the idea of cutting us accidentally .  Don't know if whitening would be ok but can't see why not really. 

• Posted

I've had two dental ops with different dentists ,no probs. I'm on self-test and can do this at any time before the appointment . There should be no complications with whitening ,depends on chemicals involved but you're not taking anything internally .

• Posted

Your name makes me laugh ..  Of topic - sorry , light hearted ness helps .
    • Posted

As you say Kathleen - light heartedness helps.

I made the same comment to Elfnsafety a few weeks ago.

A good aspect of the site, is that you can read comments from the very serious, to the very amusing.

• Posted

Hi Ally

13mg seems quite high. I am on 3 to 3.5mg to maintain INR 2-3

• Posted

Yep 13mg of Warfarin daily... it is high, but it keeps my INR stable, so I don't argue! smile

• Posted

I am on  2 - 2.5  alternate days to maintain  target of three .  That's a heck of a lot of warfarin . I hope you maintain your numbers . It's taken me three yrs to get to fortnightly blood testing as it was all over the place , sometimes twice a week for bloods . I looked up your question re dentist and I think they will take you on as long as you tell them . Xxx
    • Posted

Hi Kathleen

I was lucky and my INR stabalised immediately. Only problem I had was due to oral morphine causing vomitting - bringing the Warfin up. Stopped the oral morphine, now considering morphine patches as suggested on other thread.

• Posted

Or you could try slow release morphine tablets - my hubby is on these and it's helped him a lot . 
    • Posted

Did they help?  I have noticed my hubby needs the liquid during the day now which is a worry. 
  • Posted

Hi Ally,

I think it all depends on the dentist really. I've been on Warfarin for a year and a half now after a second blood clot in my leg. My dentist just asked to see my yellow INR booklet and that was it. They've offered me tooth whitening etc several times since I started taking the Warfarin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.