3 months on mirap and just feel worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone i posted on here a few months back, i have been on mirap now for 3 months and have never been more drepressed i wake up every morning with anxiety and it lasts the hole day i just want to lay in bed, i have 2 children who i feel i'm neglecting i wasn't drepressed before starting them just had anxiety, should i ask my gp to change me to anothe anit d???

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. Sorry to hear you are low. It is really hard with two young children. I had three. I would say that mirtazapine is normally good for anxiety plus depression. It is used also to help you sleep, I found it hard to wake up in morning plus as an appetite stimulant. I put on two stone.

Definitely go back to your doc and explain it hasn't worked. Three months is enough time to know this. There are other meds out there and you need to find right one. Good luck and try and enjoy your children. They grow up very fast.

Carolyn

• Posted

thanks for you reply i am back with my gp today and hopefully she'll listen this time, my kids are missing school because i can't drag myself out of bed in the mornings and i fear they'll be taken from me i'm a single parent which makes its hard, i've had constant back pain also since starting them which makes me more anxious just hope todays the day the doc takes heed to me 
    • Posted

Hi April,

good luck at the docs, make some notes before you go, I find that helps during an appointment. I think you should ask for an alternative. 3 months is sufficient time for the drugs to work. Let us know how it goes.

• Posted

You should think about getting off them, lots of people react badly to them such as myself. I was put on them for insomnia, nothing else, and they caused both anxiety and depression. The withdrawal can be pretty hardcore too so whatever you do dont cold turkey, taper slowly as they say. 
    • Posted

Would starting a new anti d still cause withdrawal may I ask how long you took it for?
  • Posted

Just back from the doctor and she took me off them put me on a new tablet called cymbalta which works more for anxiety so hopefully they work for me
    • Posted

Alarm bells, listen to Ian nufc and me, do not go off the Mirt suddenly, do not just stop/cold turkey - there will be horrendous withdrawal, anxiety, nausea, IBS, you should do a slow taper April, save yourself a lot of anguish.  

Go to:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/depression-resources-298570 on this forum,

scroll down to the link: Reducing ADs using 10% withdrawal method

Be kind to yourself, you may need to check with your doc that you can take both AD's, your doctor probably doesn't know about the nasty WD of Mirt', my doctor doesn't !!   But many folk on this forum do, you can look back at them if you wish.

You'll be fine, just really need to take your time coming off them April.  

Wishing you well  x

• Posted

That's what I was wondering too I know from bitter experience not to rush withdrawal. Though April only on 7.5 may be ok. You would hope GP can read and relay up to date info on drugs.
    • Posted

Do you go on another anti d, how long did you take mirap for, all the withdrawal effects you speak I am having while taking mirap
  • Posted

She said to miss tonites tablet and start the new one tomorrow because I was on a low dose I should be ok
  • Posted

I.m very anxious now as what to do I can't handle anymore suffering I.m getting from mirap would starting a new anti d not work without withdrawals from mirap?
    • Posted

Oh hun try not to worry too much. I was on 15 and told to take one every second night for two weeks and start New antidepressant after first week. So was on two for one week. I was on it for 8 months in all. Went from 30 to 15 after six months with no side effects. I am fine now off it about four weeks I think. Just monitor how you feel. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Carolyn you,'ve been a great help today she said its obvious the mirap was doing the opposite to what it's meant to do that's why she wants me to start a new one
    • Posted

Everyone is so different. I just follow their advice. I am honestly so much better now and along with your forthcoming counselling you won't know yourself when new med kicks in. Be gentle with yourself. Hug your kids and watched dumb movies and go on long walks. This is a blip in your life. Good things are just around the corner. Your cousin would want you to be happy so do it for them and yourself. X
    • Posted

That he would it's horrible to think a tablet can make you feel so down and yet do wonders for others x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.