I still can't wear heels

Posted , 4 users are following.

When I was 17 I had a major bunion surgery on July 17th of 2014. It's been a year and some months but I still can't bend my toe nor able to wear heels. So what I'm asking is what's the longest you can wait till your able to wear heels and bend your toe?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I mean when I was 18 not 17
    • Posted

Hi Sabrina. Did you go to PT? They help with the range of motion tremendously. Atvweek 3 post-op I was already working on bending and extending the toe. Did you hace a soft tissue release with your surgery? Ibread an article that they don't seem to allow me to leave the link for it about how people with a good deal of stiffness need a soft tissue release to help wuth the overall movement. Google bunionectomy soft tissue release and you'll find it. I was told I'd have to wait a year if I wanted to wear heels again. Then it can only be 2 inches maximum.
    • Posted

My doctor didn't tell me to do anything besides soak it and is it only 2 inches? That's the farthest you can wear? I mean I can wear one pair of heels because of their isn't much covering the bunion.
    • Posted

Yes because I had Lapidus and anything higher then 2 inches can put too much stress on my plates. I was also told to not buy too narrow, even with the bunion gone because it increases the chances of bunions coming back because narrow shoes can start to shift your big toe again.
  • Posted

Hi, I think you need to start excersising and stretching the toe. I had bunion removal and 3 hammertoe done in one foot. PT was started 6 weeks post op. I am about 7 months post op and I have one troublesome toe, that will be bend eventually but stiffness and scar tissue are severely hindering movement. Every spare moment I stretch it, push it because I'm determined to get a fully functioning foot back and it's down to me to put the work in.

Check with your doctor - if there is no reason why you shouldn't have full movement, start stretching it at home, go swimming and hop in the pool, calf raises to build your foot and leg strength. Chances are it'll be painful but this is stiffness and will improve.

Good luck!

• Posted

I absolutely agree with Fiona. You have to start moving it ASAP with them surgery. Otherwise scar tissue sets in and grossly limits the range of motion and causes the stiffness. It blows my mind that there are some doctors that never mention PT to their patients. Have you looked at any PT for bunionectomy videos on YouTube? I'd recommend starting with that.
    • Posted

Thanks and I can't go swimming I don't have a car and I'll try the videos on YouTube.
  • Posted

Hi, I had both feet done Scarf and Akins 9 months ago. After 6 weeks I couldn'tmove my toes at all. My docter sent me for PT and the improvement was great. I still have restricted move on one foot but the other foot is perfect. I am back in heels but turn back to very low heel or flats for shopping or if I have alot of walking to do. The thing is if you don't exercise the toes you stiffen up pretty quick. You might have to have cortosone injections and heavy duty physio to correct your problem so see your doc. By the way it hurts quite a bit when you are exercising and I think a lot of people don't push themselves. I used this site all the way through with bunion buddies I knew that the pain wasn't me doing it wrong or damaging the correction. Doctors don't really tell you much. It's been quite an education.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.