acid reflux or silent reflux

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi does anyone else get a yellow coating on their tongue from reflux? x

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi dee. I used to think there was something wrong with the coating on my tongue, but the doctor told me there is supposed to be a coating on the tongue, and if there isn't, then you have something wrong. If it's very yellow, check what you're eating. Maybe something with turmeric in it, which is good for you anyway.
  • Posted

Some people out there would say that the thick white/yellow coating is a yeast overgrowth (usually candida). Seems to be very common with people who have digestive disorders. Traditional doctors will

Not accept that though

• Posted

There are various reasons why your tongue can have a yellow or white coating.

It can be a fungal infection, eg thrush. If it feels uncomfortable, see your doctor who can prescribe treatment. Thrush can be a sign of depleted levels of iron or vitamin deficiency and can also occur if using antibiotics.

A yellow tongue can be caused by smoking or certain foodstuffs, eg some teas.

It can also be associated with post nasal drip occassioned by aspirated extra-oesophageal reflux - which would be more prevalent first thing in the morning.

Try brushing or scraping your tongue and use a good mouthwash.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.