painful colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have had quite a few colonoscopys in the past and whenever anyone has asked i have always said dont worry it is not painful just a little uncomfortable as they go round corners so to speak., but even then not agonising. it has always been so relaxed that i have watched the whole proceedure on the screen with facination. i have never had a consultant do it just what one could call their under doctors. but today i had the most painful and yes i would say agonizing colonoscopy and it was done by the consultant . how i didnt leap from the table i dont know for the first time ever i had to have sedation and have that topped up with gas and air, at one stage i grasped hold of something (dont know what ) and they had to prise my fingers off it and i immediatly transferred the vice like grip to some poor nurses wrist.  i firmly believe the colonoscopy is pain free dependant on who is doing it to you. in this instance i firmly believe the consultant needs to go back to training school, she may be good in the operating theatre, and giving lectures and being behind her desk but i hope and pray that she is never let loose with a scope on anybody else. i know they were running late but that is no excuse for insensitive behaviour. if i ever have to have one again i am going to ask to go tto a differnt hospital rather than risk her again.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Poor you especially going in thinking it's going to be the usual breeze. I've had 3 and only one that I could describe as bearable
  • Posted

I actually refused to have a conoloscopy after reading internet horror stories. However, I was told this was just people stirring it on the net. Obviously not. In the end, I didn't have one and the procedure beforehand sounded grim anyway. After my op, I remember being berated for not having something done which I felt inappropriate as you are supposed to get support, not criticism, in hospital. I was so, so glad to be out of pain. I had an anal fistula and boy, THAT was painful and the operation alleviated the pain completely. I get the odd tinge now and again but overall, the relief was brilliant. I only need one more operation now and I hope that's that. 
  • Posted

It definitely depends on the operator.
    • Posted

I had a colonoscopy here in the states this week. They gave me fentanyl and midzolam. Neither of these meds worked. I felt all of the pressure and pain and I am not sure why. Any answers
    • Posted

like you i really dont understand why this one colonoscopy was so very painful after having others that were not, i think it is true it all depends on whoi is doing the proceedure
  • Posted

Well in my experience, the midazolam and the fentanyl didn't do their job. I felt everything and the staff was made aware of this. I have never experienced anything like that before. You would think that the provider would've added another med or increased the dosage so that I wasn't so uncomfortable.
    • Posted

I don't think they always get the line in properly. I had a very good person doing that last time and the difference it made was enormous. The one who did my gastroscopy last time was hopeless and I hardly got any sedation.
    • Posted

That sounds about right. They were rushing patients in and out of that unit like an assembly line. When quality of care is rushed and hasty, carers don't make the position of the IV their main priority. I know for future reference when dealing with healthcare providers, I will double check that IV and make sure it has a proper flow before any surgical procedures start. We must be proactive about the quality of the healthcare we receive. Ask questions, let your medical provider know what you feel works better for you. Let me tell I have done it. I let my doctor know from the start that I will be proactive in my healthcare. For the few that I encountered along the way who took umbrage and offense because they felt their expertise and education was above reproach...i let them know if they were as professional, as experienced, and as highly educated that their degrees and years of residency had provided them with the knowledge and wherewithal to earn the privilege, honor, and the distinguished title as physician in such an esteemed, elitetist, and , t d a g considered a physician in the esteemed medic al field
    • Posted

As I was saying during my previous reply. Most physicians are rigid and inflexible in the protocol that became learned behavior during their academic and residential studies...the doctor and the patient relationship, where the doctor asserts his medical knowledge and power of persuasion over his patient to control the dynamics of the relationship. A knowledgeable, compassionate, and dedicated doctor is the one who is in practice to help and work to any means to provide quality healthcare and the doctor knows that to live a balanced and healthy life...the patient must participate and feel respected that they have a voice in their healthcare choices. People these type of medical providers exist and they should be thanked for allowing their patients a voice and a choice, while monitoring and guiding them along the way. Too many choices are being taken from us...embrace the right to speak to your doctor about your healthcare choices.
  • Posted

I checked this discussion because I had done extensive reading about colonoscopy procedure - all aspects - including without sedation. 

I did this because I was scheduled for a colonoscopy to investigate colorectal bleeding + anaemia. I had the procedure this morning and wanted to feedback on my experience, because I know how anxious it can feel doing research before the first time you experience the procedure.

I too, thankfully, can report that I had a painless colonoscopy which was completed fully and without sedation. I write this to offer another experience - but in no way do I discredit the true accounts that othe's have testified to here and elsewhere. My motive is to let others know that it is possible for some.

Even though I went in already decided against sedation - I asked the prep. nurse what she'd recommend from her experience witnessing patients having the procedure. She said some feel pain with the sedative and some dont - she also said that this is also the case for those who don't have any sedative - some do have pain some don't.

I wondered how it is that the medical profession state 'some discomfort' yet there are so many testimonies of 'the worse pain ever!' My conclusions were that if sedative is not going to prevent pain, why have it? So I focused on the 'pain' exclusively in my options for the procedure. I did not want to be 'out of it' and confused and forgetful, whilst at the mercy of the medics, allowing rushed and unconsidered actions.

Focusing on pain, I asked if I could receive fentonyl, which is an alalgysic (pain releiver), without the sedative (versed, medazolam or any other benzodiazepan). They said yes they could do so - and did. I did not use gas and air or anything else (except Boscopan, to relax the colon itself)

Women have longer colons which means this procedure can be difficult, especially if they have had a hysterectomy. In my case I have Uterine Fibroids and mentioned this to the Dr before doing the procedure and he said it may make it a little harder to get around if things are obstructed. I am also a small woman, 5ft and 9 stone & I have had 3 children; I am now 50 yrs old.

I had 75 micrograms of Fentonyl and 10mg of Boscopan immediiately before the procedure started.

The Dr (Consultant) got all the way to the first bend before I felt any discomfort - then I felt him infrate air and was a little anxious because I know this is where other say the pain intensifies. The colonoscopist (Dr) asked if I was OK - he could see me tense, I said yes and the baloon effect of pumping air was a little uncomfortable, but not excessive. After that point he managed to get all the way to the appendix without me feeling any more discomfort. He told me that was the worst part over and that I was doing very well - I thought, no you are! The he said the next part was to remove it and double check for any abnormalities or areas of concern (polyps etc)

On coming back out, he took 6 biopsy's - no polyps found and everything normal. He did see a slight hemeroid on withdrawal (anal) on the way out. I felt only a slight tugging on one of the biopsy's.

I can ony offer my own experience in order to inform others who may be having the procedure and wonder what to expect - I myself nearly frightened myself out of the procedure after all that I had read. I was referred for the colonoscopy due to rectal bleeding, dark red & mixed in wih stools + anaemia, so was obviously concerned about possible colorectal cancer (no polyps, results of biopsy soon - but basically given the all clear in terms of suspected colon malignancy). 

Main points for consideration

- I specifically asked for painkiller (Fentanyl)

- No sedation, so I could be aware and part of decisions to proceed etc.

- Researched the person doing the procedure - opted for a Consultant who does frequent colonoscopy procedures (Asked who was scheduled to do it, researched his name on NHS Choices, list of consultants). Modesty made me want to choose a woman - but his credentials outweighed, and it was minimum pain and skill that I focused on. I did have a choice depending on hospital and date - was on a fast track 2 week referral list, due to symptoms.

My humble advice would be to

a) focus on skill (the colonoscopist) - to minimise pain & the chance of missing polyps etc.

b) Focus on pain relief medication instead of sedative. This way you are fully aware to work with the Dr and to be considered every step of the way. You will remember all the images of your colon and be reassured that you were treated with consideration and due care. 

c) Just a thought - but I also wondered whether some of the pain reported may be related to the conditions people present with crohns, diverticulitis, previous bowel surgery etc. I'm no expert, but I wonder if this should be considered when deciding the type of painkiller or sedative options? We're not all the same and possibly this may also affect the pain experienced.

If you are really worried about this procedure - I hope this helps. If you have suffered painful colonosopies in the past, I hope this helps going forward too. I really appreciate all of the feedback each person here has given - it helped inform my own choices. I was glad to have had only mild discomfort at one point, but I know that was not guaranteed.

All the best in your individual journey  smile

• Posted

It is nice to read such a positive post. So glad everything went well for you. My second one was like that ( a little more than slight discomfort) sedated but aware. The last one I had pethadine for pain relief efforts and so much sedative can't remember much at all BUT it was aborted because I was in so much pain. I didn't know until I had come round in recovery that they had stopped half way. I can't understand why they were do different
    • Posted

Thanks Babs, and I am sorry that all of your's haven't been consistently good - but that seems to be quite a common experience also. I am so grateful that I am not called to repeat them frequently, and I'm not sure I'd want to test my fortune again! 

I suspect it may indeed be a lot  to do with the endoscopist doing the procedure. 

I did fear also, as you say, that (with the sedative) I could wake up to a decision made whilst I was 'out of it' - like deciding not to proceed. Or even to proceed relentlessly whilst I drift in and out of severe pain.

I have no knowledge of whether Fentanyl or Pethadine is better for pain - I had pethadine for my first birth, but I did read it can leave you groggy, foggy and drowsy. I presume the boscopan (to relax bowel) is standard?

I hope, if you need any others, they are more like your 2nd.

• Posted

Hi, glad to have found this thread, after my first colonoscopy today. I was dreading it but, from the pre-reading I did, thought the prep would be the worst bit. That was a bit of an anticlimax itself (thankfully). But the procedure was hideous. I had sedation but it was really painful and distressing. The staff were all sympathetic, and added to the pain medication, but that made no difference at all. She managed to get almost to the end then had to stop because I was in so much pain and there was so much blood and inflammation. I think the diagnosis (a few weeks ago at a flexible sigmoidoscopy ) of UC maybe explains some of the pain, as my colon is an ulcerated, bloody mess, but surely there must be a better pain medication? I need another in a few months I was told (to my horror) and I'll be demanding different painkillers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.