help help help

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm hoping i can get some answers from this forum .

I am in so much pain it feels like my heels are on fire constantly its driving me insane.

I have tried stretching and massaging my calfs but have no relief.

I have also iced twice sometimes 3 times a day any advise plzzzzzzz .

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Susan,

I understant what you are suffering with this pain, I have had PF twice, (20 years apart) and it has blighted my life to the point where I had to give up my job as I could no longer do the self defence necessary for my job.  I tried icing, excercise, wearing a boot at night, insoles etc. all to no avail.  Then I read about a treatment where blood is taken from the arm, put through a centrifuge and the plasma injected into the heel.  Had the operation, was non weight bearing for about 2 weeks and, though it took a good few months, I am now pain free.  I still wear the insoles as a precautionary measure and never wear dodgy footwear.  Maybe this would be an option for you.   Good luck.

• Posted

Wow Glynis01,

This is really interesting! Never heard of this before. And what is the idea behind it? Like..what does the transplated plasma do?

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Hi susan,

I too suffered greatly from Plantar issues I did all the prescribed methods of treatment. Ice, stretching, custom insoles, physical therapy, night splints, ultrasound, acupuncture. . Nothing helped. I was in agony.

I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon who told me that my calves were too tight and that I hand no flex in my ankle. Which explains why I always felt better in heels. I had a gastroc release and a plantar release done all together, both legs at once. Doing them together wasn't the first choice, but I could go on disability for 3 months doing one at a time. I am 7 weeks post opp and doing great. My feet feel so much better. Sometimes my heels hurt if I stand too long, but I can tell it's related to the surgery and it is getting better. I was told that I'd be in a wheel chair and with walking casts for 4 weeks, but I was out of the boots and walking in 2. I went back to work in two weeks, fortunately I have a desk job. Occasionally I wear the boots if I have to stand for long periods, but I recently installed interlocking anti fatigued flooring throughout my whole kitchen so I can cook and do dishes and it's already helping.

I am in physical therapy and it's speeding up my recovery alot. I'm even back at the gym with my trainer doing upper legs and upperbody.

My Dr's name is Kenneth Park in California, google him, he has an interesting video on plantar fasciitis and the gastroc release surgery. (It's about 8 mins in to the 60 min video) He finally gave me an understanding of what was going on with my cranky feet.

Surgery is always the last resort, but I promise that it's not as bad as it seems. And if it is best for you, doing them together is 100% feasible! !! I have no regrets!

Best of luck and I hope you get relief soon,

Jayjay

• Posted

Thank you for your replies .

I am seeing my surgeon next week I am going to explain I can't go on any longer with this pain as I can only walk for around 15 minutes until the burning and pain starts .

I can't live my life like this as I can't  go anywhere do anything .

My job involves a lot of driving and even doing that pains me .

I will keep you updated to what my surgeon suggests .

As I feel I am just wasting my money on PT .

• Posted

Best advice is to first see a podiatrist for a thorough and accurate evaluation and diagnosis. The symptoms that you have can be from a variety of issues. Once you have a correct diagnosis then you can work on a treatment plan to alieviate the pain.
    • Posted

With all due respect, going to a podiatrist was a complete waste of time for me. I went there first. Spent six months doing this and this and that as he scratched his head. And another six months searching for someone else that could help me. Podiatrists aren't fully trained in the mechanics of the connecting tendons that cause the PF pain in your feet. Most are glorified toe nail cutters. You need someone that specializing in the mechanics of lower extremities. A podiatrist is a reasonable start, but they just aren't trained to treat this issue.
    • Posted

I'm sorry about your experience with the other doctors. About 30% of our practice is treating heel pain, which usually stems from plantar fascitis, but we always explore other etiologies. Also, the podiatrists in our practice have had at least three years of biomechanical training in school and many years of practice treating this condition, so we have extensive experience in treating these problems. I hope that you can find another doctor who would be able to leave a better impression. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.