I want to stop gabapentin after 2 nights to see if it really works

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey There,

I have taken gabapentin for 2 nights now for peripheral neuropathy.  I am wanting to experiment by stopping it because I am feeling good all day to see if that is what is helping, or if maybe I am just feeling better (hopefully).

I have only taken 2 doses of 300mg each night.  Is it safe to do this?  Is it dumb to do this?

Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My understanding from lots of reading and talking to my doctors, is that you need to titrate up to your recommended dose level and stay there for 3 weeks to acclimatize your body to the dosage level. Only then can you evaluate whether its working or not.
  • Posted

Thanks for the reply. I just don't want to start down this road if I can sleep without it now.  Just seems like the last 2 days i have felt better in the daytime, so maybe I will feeel better at night too?  Or maybe it started working already and helps in the day too.  Either way, it doesn't sound like one day off will hurt me if I only have a little in my system right now.
    • Posted

I agree. better not to go down the commitment path if you can cope. Coping is best until you pass the threshhold of your ability to function. I've been experiencing debilitating pain and needed to to the drug route. I've been lucky so far and I'm trying to get by without going to opiates. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thanks alot.  Good luck to you too.
  • Posted

From my experience with my neuropathy which has has triggered my migraines for 4 years.  It does not go away over time if there's permanent damage.  I could hardly drive anywhere because of how much pain I would be in the next day.  Gabapentin has allowed me to live a normal life again.  So if your neuropathy was temporary; only your doctor can tell you, then I would talk to your doctor about decreasing your dose to prevent side effects before you do anything. And, I would never come off a nerve type drug if there are life stressors.  Trust me from experience.  That way you can predict what cause what symptoms.  Anxiety is BEAST and can mess up a lot of things.  Stay strong and I hope this helps.
  • Posted

Well I didn't take it last night and slept pretty good.  I think i was finally exhausted enough to sleep.  My worst problem is that this has been going on for 4 weeks, and living in Canada, I have zero answers.  So my anxiety is huge.  I have been to emergency twice and doctors over and over, but all that happens is they bump me up the wait list.  I now see the neurologsit in 2 weeks and should have the EMG soon.  You are right, anxiety sucks.

Thanks, good luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks you too.  One last thing..  I use Xanax; 12+ year now,  on a as needed basis to help manage my anxiety.  I also use bio feedback( heart rate monitor, Polar are the best.,  Simple one is all your need) control with breathing to help relax. That way I can look down at my Polar watch and see if my heart rate is too high, then I start doing diaphragmatic breathing; I should be doing all the time, breathing until my anxiety subsides. Anxiety will hurt your memory if not controlled.  I also use Trazedone to help me sleep.  I wake up with anxiety, do you?  I also had troubles with hyperperathyoid and I had parathoidectomy which help A LOT which started to show up as high calcium from my blood test/s.  Keep us posted.  Best of luck.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.