Anhedonia, or depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys, 

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to quit cannabis and went through what they call, Anhedonia, I read that anhedonia comes not from a reduced capacity to experience pleasure, but instead from an inability to sustain good feelings over time.

In other words, maybe pleasure is experienced fully, but only briefly--not long enough to sustain an interest or involvement in life's good things. It seems every pleassure leads to morbid thoughts, and the only thing that makes me forget the final destination is cannabis - but I do not know if its a chemical imbalance or depression or a mind shift I went through? 

I have cut down on my intake by half and trying to tolerate the anxiety abstinence is causing - which I couldnt tolerate before at all, but now it seems life is so meaningless.  

Any feedback would be great.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lena thankyou for your honsety I started smoking erb in the 70;s it wasn;t as potent as it is now I'll be honest with you after smoking weed for 23 years I just grew out of the feeling it gives. As in I like being so stoned and its no way to show God in Heaven though he may have created it good vs evil is something everyone must face in life's big test.If smoking erb was a way that calmed you down enough to where you were not having panic attacks then for sure it's justified. But if your doing it because it apart of your routine in life then its not right/ Thats life can we ever be sober yes we can but those of us who suffer from pain them opiats are justified..
    • Posted

Thank you Eric, yes very helpful what you ve said. It is the pain - I know where its from, but then like you said there is the other aspect of life as well. I am trying to concentrate on that but it is not enough. It helps to hear from you who understands my point of view, and it could be other than weed anything that helps me see the bright side. I am lucky its only weed though. My goal is to reduce the use so much it will become recreational, but in the real sense, enjoying life as I used to, on or off pot. Maybe its a matter of acceptance...

Have you tried breathing techniques for your Stridor? Like yogic breathing - there are so many on utube I could send you links that may be good

• Posted

Although I don't use marijuana I have been anhedonic for a year.  I was depressed and very anxious and then anhedonic.  Seems to have relationship to dopamine activity in the brain.  This seems to be a persistent condition that is difficult to medicate away.  I've heard ketamine treatments can help but they are dangerous and have to be repeated.  I am currently in therapy hoping to find the answers to this condition.
    • Posted

Hi Jim, thank you for commenting

its very difficult to handle when  life feels like emptiness.

I have tried L tyrosine(dopamine) and 5HTP(serotonine) that helped alot. My cannabis addiction is what makes this worse for me, but the aminoacids helped with that too. I took both of them together since taking one of the two may deplete the serotonine levels. I took L tyrosine in the morning and 5HTP in the evening(gave me very vivid dreams which I had lost with cannabis) it also enhanced my skin, my hair and nails. These arent addictive at all, and can only help but I took them on and off to get my system to produce the chemistry on its own. Its like reminding your system what the normal levels of serotonine is like again and it gets your system going. 

Ketamine, I havent read about it, but I have read about ayahuasca and Ibogaine and I am looking for those in UK. I ll check out info on Ketamine and comment later on that. I am sure there is a way to go about it - its a matter of finding the right cure, for each individual is different. 

Keep in touch let me know how this going for you. Hope to find a cure asap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.