Is the 'bigger issue' gut motility?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Pardon the awful pun! :-)

Strictly, this is off topic:

I'm a late 50's male (which also means I'm in my late 50's!).  In recent years, I've had two colonoscopies. The first one resulted in a diagnosis of diverticular disease. The second one was 'clear'. Hallelujah! (....?)  So it seems that - for now - there is no pocketing. But there is retention of faecal matter. So, although there was no alternative diagnosis, it appears that I might have intractable colon instead. I'm relating my symptoms because others may have symptoms that approximate to a diverticulosis diagnosis. In my case, it might be intractability, due to lack of nerve stimulation, the "hey, I'm full!" urge  - or as I suspect, the gut is losing excessive amaounts of water along its length - to a greater degree than is normal. In other words, the stuff is drying up and clogging the pipework. But the outcome is similar to those with a diverticular disease diagnosis. The stuff hangs around and 'goes off'! Anyway, whatever it is, I do have some standard measures to alleviate impaction, which is what we all suffer from if left alone.

I really don't know about the efficacy of aloe vera, but I do know that my main 'friend' is extra-virgin olive oil. I use it liberally as a dressing, and prepare a litre bottle of it infused with hot, jalopeno chillies! This makes the taste a whole lot more pleasant in all uses. I definitely attribute greater motility of my gut with daily consumption of uncooked olive oil.  I guess it's a natural lubricant/stimulant combo?

And so, this is the major modifier of my former 'fast food' diet - coupled with a breakfast of water-based, rolled oat porridge with honey and a  probiotic yoghurt and orange juice - oh, and fresh-brewed, strong, sweet black coffee! Generally, all this promotes 'normal' passage shortly after breakfast. If this routine fails on two consecutive mornings, I will usually have 10 mg of Bisacodyl (aka Dulcolax) that evening. Whilst the next day may be tricky, usually by midday the tummy is emptied (… ready to refill again!). This cycle generally needs to occur every fortnight for me, but occasionally weekly, or sometimes as long as one month - but that is rare. My GP is happy with this as a regime and, so far, has not resulted in the need for antibiotics - since the first time the impaction occurred, a number of years ago.

It is just possible that some folk here suffer more from 'slow throughput', rather than extensive diverticular disease. However, the management methods are probably the same. Perhaps more a case of keeping the gut motile - and hydrated - than actively avoiding potentially beneficial nutrients. Maybe?…

HTH,

Pete.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm ok at the moment, but it's worth remembering, thanks.
  • Posted

I find ginger helpful. Two or three small lumps of crystallised root ginger aday help keep things moving. I also take a magnesium supplement.
  • Posted

Have you tried eating prunes?they work wonders for me and are delicious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.