Had uterine fibroid embolisation 19th Oct, still feel nauseous and have hot spells is anyone else?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Was prepared from cramping post procedure but not the nausea and hot flashes.

Worried procedure may have put me in an early menapause. Has anyone else experienced this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha,

I had my UFE procedure on the 21st of September. I experienced hot flashes and night sweats regularly before the procedure, this has improved but I was concerned that I am still experiencing this. I am also still very fatigued. My GP has said that because fibroids feed off estrogen, when they are dying it can release enzymes that are high in estrogen and cause these symptoms. So I have to wait a bit longer and see what happens.

On the plus side my periods are very light and the pressure symptoms are gone but I would like to regain my energy too. My GP has sent me for blood tests. Maybe you should see your gynecologist or GP for tests?

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Samantha

Depending on your age group when you had the embolisation done. I was 46 when I had mine done In 2012,after a month I went into the menopause hot flashes during the day. Night time was awful to i got the cramps in hospital and sickness for 24hrs while in there to. But subsided after few days I had to have a hysterectomy in the end June 2015 fibroids came bk worse for me. But nuthn to say it won't work for you everyone is different. I do feel better although felt like I've gone through the ringer at first. 6months on nearly back to full recovery and I Don,t regreat my decision to do i.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Thanks Kizzy, wishing you well with your recovery too.

I'm 38 at the moment and guess that if more fibroids did re occur, which i understand is highly likely in a few years i would likely have to seriously consider a hysterectomy.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi there, I had an embollisation in July. I found it very painful and felt very ill for several weeks, including high temperatures and feeling flu-like. I was told that this was due to the body dealing with fibroids beginning to die off, so it means the procedure is working! It is worth checking with your GP though in case you have an infection.

• Posted

Pumpkin1975, just curious how you are feeling now? I'm considering doing the embolization but after reading this thread I'm scared. I'm 34 and I don't want to go menopause and I also don't want a hysterectomy either, but myomectomy is not am option anymore as my fibroids are really big. Any feedback appreciated!
    • Posted

Hi Niki,

I am happy I had the procedure and my main complaints, excessive bleeding, sudden flooding in between periods, painful cramps and clots were eradicated immediately. My period was due 2 days after the procedure and it was so light I wasn't sure if it was my period or discharge from procedure. The next month my period was very light again and I was ecstatic. The pain and discomfort for a few days was well worth it.

Everyone has different experiences, I have read some people have heavy periods for a month or two and then it gets lighter each month. Some women go back to work after 1 week, I was off for 2 weeks and still get tired very easily.

I am happy with the outcome but still have a few issues I need to get checked out.

Myomectomy, hysterectomy, and Embolisation are all effective but each comes with its own pros and cons. Keep researching and choose the one you feel the most comfortable with.

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you, this really helps smile

I'm constantly in pain, get terrible heartburn the second I lie down or atremp to excercize, pretty much look pregnant, and I've really done everything I could possibly do to try and fix it in the past few years including having a myomectomy, taking fibristal, herbs and enzymes, strict diet, acupuncture, etc. It's nice to know I'm not alone but also heartbreaking to read about so many women going though this and experiencing a diminished quality of life. There has to be a better way, medical communist needs to catch up.

• Posted

I searched on the Internet since October 19th 2015 for the best solution possible, and sadly just a few options for these type of fibroids are available now. Hysteractomy was the only option my dr gave me. On October 10th of this year, I almost died because my fibroid was bleeding excessively and lost so much blood. I walked in to the emergency room and they wanted to perform a hysterectomy, and I refused. Instead, they perform a uterine fibroid embolization, that stopped the bleeding right away. i would highly choose ufe again over a hysterectomy for excessive bleeding, because you still keep your uterus, and there is possibility your fibroids never come back. Hysterectomy on the other had cannot be reversed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.