How I got rid of my fibroids

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had a nightmare story with Fibroids. I'm 31 and had 4 blood transfusions this year due to how bad my bleeding was. I had one Fibroid removed initially which didn't help and then the consultant didn't want to remove the other large fibroid due to how high up in the uterus it was. I was told to have Embolisation and then another consultant told me not to have this done as I don't have children yet. Then another consultant told me to have the cesarean cut to remove the large fibroid. There was so many various conflicing that opinions I didn't know what to do. In the end I requested they tried to remove the 5cm Fibroid through vaginal resection, the consultant agreed but said it would probably be impossible to reach the fibroid, (before this another consultatant refused the surgery) when I woke up they told me they removed 2 small fibroids and 3cm of the big 5cm one, it felt like an absolute miracle to me considering no consultant wanted to do this minimally invasive operation. I'm one week post and feel great, I'm symptom free and almost fibroid free to. Perhaps more will grow in the future and perhaps the partially removed one will still grow but it feels like they have found a great cure for me for now which should last a number of years at least. It took me 10 months of heavy bleeding every single day to get this sorted. In the 10 months I've had various public flooding/gushing accidents, was out of breath climbing 2 flights of stairs, looked as pale as a ghost and looked pregnant thank god it's over.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Great to hear this has worked for you.

I just had UFE on the 19th Oct to help reduce my fibroids one is 13.5 cm and the other 5cm.

I'm told the best I can expect is a 40 yo 50% reduction in 6 mnths which was a bit disappointing but if it stops the flooding and anemia then it'll be worth it.

My consultant won't consider any operations at this stage because I have a history of blood clots 2 yrs ago one in the leg and one in the lung which I have only found out recently that the fibroid could have been a factor in causing the clots. Just wish I known this 2 yrs ago then maybe it wouldn't be so big now.

Totally empathise with what you have been through.

Congratulations on your recovery and all the best.

• Posted

Thanks for your kind wishes Sam,

Can I ask are you worried about not being able to get pregnant in the future or this is not important for you?

• Posted

Getting pregnant is not a priority at the moment but I've just got married and the thought of ruling it out completely is not something I want to consider now which is why emolisation was seen as a first step.

I guess I'm just waiting to see what the nxt 6 to 12 months brings post embolisation and take it from there.

So much to consider and not fun!

• Posted

I'm just happy for you. Thank God for this procedure. At least you are saved from hot flashes and these premature menopause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.