Achalasia related back pain - gas build-up?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Fortunately for me, I've had my surgery (heller myotomy) to fix my achalasia.

However, I still suffer from the occasional back pain, which feels like a build up of gas inside me. I can't seem to get rid of it and just have to ride it out - it's really uncomfortable.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems (pre or post-surgery)? If so, have you found a way to manage it?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi BenitoNoone,

​I have had a surgery years ago. i think it was different from yours. I have a build up of gas in my gall bladder all the time. Never associated it to back pain. i use Gas X or any over the counter gas relief meds. I wanted them to remove gall bladded ,they wouldn't says its okay. I hope you find the relief you need. I will question my doctor about the heller Myotomy. Maybe that will help me.

• Posted

Yes I get much the same pain between shoulder blades and in pit of stomach. I take couple of paracetamol and drink cold water which helps. At first I thought it was a cramp due to the fundoplication but maybe it is gas build up.
  • Posted

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO TAVEL ONPLANE WITHDRY MOUTH AND NOSE...IM REALLY AFRAID AND HAVE TO GO BACK TO LOS ANGELES FROM SYDNEY.....IM MORE AFRAID OF  THE DRY MOUTH..TGE MORE WATER I DRINK THE DRYER IT GETS
  • Posted

Hi thee,

I also do occasionally experience exactly the same as you. I have Achalasia but have only had a Dilatation up to this point.

I personally feel it is a build up of gas/air and like you I ride it out. I find often eating a Banana helps as does warm water, but its not an exact science and sometimes it takes a while to clear through.

It usually happens a night to me, maybe its the lying prone.

all the best

Janski

• Posted

It usually happens at night to me too. I try to avoid eating late, but sometimes it comes on regardless.

I'll try the banana and warm water tip though - Thanks Janski!

• Posted

I asked about this and there has been a delay in the reply coming through.   Sometimes if the crura (part of the diaphragm) has been operated on that can cause back pain - sometimes the pain travels through nerves/muscles and is felt elsewhere.   It might also be reflux. Or it could be unrelated.

It is not a typical symptom or side effect from this surgery.

Probably the best idea s to ask your surgeon for investigation and advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.