Sphincterotomy didn't work

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had the surgery almost a year ago, I thought there was some improvement but not totally, still feel burning and some soreness and I think I developed a thromboid or hemmoriod from it. I can't believe it didn't work. There was some improvement but not much. I have to bring myself back to the doctor which I hate because I am tired of having someone probe my butt. He said it always works but I may have to get a Fissurectomy which is and extremely painful recovery. Anyone out there that it did not work? Anyone can share their experience for a Fissurectomy? I don't think I will ever recover fully.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had the surgery in may. I do at times get a bit of discomfort. I'm still on laxatives, laxido, fibregel and lactulose. The hospital wanted me to stop these but I'm reluctant. The last thing my surgeon said, let's hope it doesn't come back again. So I guess it can xx sorry I can't help more. I had 3 fissures and an incredible amount of pain before the op.

Is that the same as advancement flaps?

• Posted

Hi, you had Sphincterotomy or Fissureoctomy? I don;t know what the advancement flaps?
  • Posted

Hi reggiecat,   

I had the fissure surgery a year and six month ago.  The first year I still had the burning and discomfort but for the most part I was healed.  No more bleeding or pain. However, for a long time I had to  stay away from foods with a lot of acidity in them like fruit.   It’s all about the foods we eat.   Anyone who has had the fissures and had the surgery will be super sensitive down there.   I’m now at a place that I can eat fruit again with no more burning.   I’m at the best comfort zone I’ve been in for a long time. Keep taking stool softeners as that will help.   I feel for you and know just what you mean about not wanting to be examined down there again - no fun at all.  I feel the same way.

I wish you all the best.  

• Posted

Which surgery was it you had? I wonder why there is burning so much later? I thought the same that because I was compromised back there. This is just crazy that it is ending. I hope in time this improves. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi reggiecat,    

I had the Fissurectomy/Sphincterotomy surgery.  in May of 2014.  I think the burning is because we are very raw down there after  being operated on. As I wrote before, it took me over a year for the burning to stop after eating fruit and other acidity foods.    

• Posted

Yes, I agree, I think it is because of the surgery. Did you use anything for the burning?
    • Posted

Hi reggiecat,  Overtime, through trial and error I found the less I pushed up there the better I felt.   Vaseline is very good before and after a BM.   I just stayed away from the foods with a lot of acidity until I felt healed enough.    Every one is different, but for me a stool softener is the best taken at night. I still take one every night just because I’m terrified the old problem could come back (god forbid!)  Laxatives don’t agree with me, although from the many postings I’ve read, it works well for some people.    I wish you well.  
  • Posted

Hi i have had this op last October. Pain was really bad and it didnt heal completely so i had to undergo another op....... and it isnt healing again. N
    • Posted

What surgery the sphincterotomy or fissuectomy?  You had no improvement at all? I am sorry for your pain.

• Posted

Did your AF ever heal? I have had 2 ops and worried I am not healing again
  • Posted

I have had fissurectomy, the pain was really bad and basically it never stoped, it didn fully heal so i did cryosurgery and it even worse. It just getting worse and worse with every op. I woul be really carful with the operations. 
    • Posted

Sorry it didn 't work for you. I am starting to feel like I may never be fully healed.
    • Posted

sorry to ask in this thread after 4 yrs...how are you feeling ? did ur fissure ever heal?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.