Inositol - anyone tried it?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, what were your experiences and how much do you take and when? Has it helped your depression? Has it helped with insomnia? Any problems?

For those of you who haven't heard of it, it is a naturally occuring substance which used to be called vitamin B8, but as the body can make it it is now not classed as a vitamin. There have been some studies which have shown it to be as effective as SSRIs for treating depression when taken at the rate of 12grams per day.

I am currently on mirtazapine which has been great for me, quickly clearing my depression and insomnia, as well as stopping my migraines, nausea and allergies. However, after four years, it has 'pooped out' and I am back to depression and insomnia so I am going to withdraw slowly from it. I started taking 12 grams of inositol yesterday in the hope that it will help me through the withdrawal. I will post my progress here. I am taking 6 grams with my breakfast in my mug of tea, and 6 grams after dinner in a soft drink. It is sweet so you need less sugar if you are mixing it into your tea or coffee.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

helo evergren

Is there an update with Inositol?

I want to use for my anxiety / OCD

I read all kinds of forums but no one talks about the effectiveness of inositol for a long time,

I would appreciate your reply

• Posted

Yes, both my husband and I have found that it significantly lifts our spirits. We take a large heaped teaspoon daily in our morning tea. I am now completely off anti-depressants although I still have a small amount of temazepam to help me sleep
    • Posted

ty for your quick answer

if I may ask

How much time you overall taking it & did you had an anxiety/stress prob & if so did it helped?

For me the main thing is anxiety/ocd but recently I also have severe depression

Just to note I stopped psychiatric drug 6 monsh ago and since then I started getting severe mental / physical symtomse that only getting worse ):

Any help will be blessed

• Posted

I found that it helped pretty much straight away. It doesn't help everyone though. My husband suffers from severe work related stress, and it really helped him. To start with it gave me a feeling of euphoria, which was great. Now, I just feel generally pretty good. Watch out though; it can give you the runs, so make sure you are close to a toilet until you know how it will affect you. Good luck!
    • Posted

Just one more question

Did you or your husband safered from allergies? I horde thet for people who have high histamine it can work bater, I don't know I get bits of info from all kind of forums & still don't really anderstand how it's working..

Do you now anything about high histamin & inositol?

Sry for my English.. hope you get it all (;

• Posted

Yes, both of us haveĀ mild allergies. That's very interesting!
  • Posted

I tried it for anxiety found it useless. L theanine works on anxiety, it makes you sleepy at least.
    • Posted

I've heard that it doesn't work for everyone. Glad you found something that works for you. I'll look into the L theanine. I haven't heard of it before, thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.