metoproclamide

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone with GERD been put on this medication? If so did it help you at all? Haven't heard much about it but my consultant has put me on it from next week. Thank you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was on metoclopramide for a while.

It is an anti-emetic / pro-kinetic drug that helps peristalsis of the food through the digestive system.

There are two commonly used drugs for this. The other is domperidone (which may be bought at a pharmacy as Motiklium). Metaclopramide is only available on prescription in UK.

Your body can gradually become used to these drugs, however, requiring gradual increased doses but if taken in large dose for any time, there is a slightly increased risk of heart problems. In the rest of the EU, domperidone is being made prescription only.

There used to be a better pro-kinetic drug, Cisapride which had to be withdrawn from EU & US marhets as it was linked with increased risk of heart disease.

Hope you find it helpful.

Metaclopramide is the better drug for moving chyme from the stomach to the duodenum than domperidone.

• Posted

My consultant also put me on it when I was first diagnosed along with a PPI. I took it for a while as it seemed to help and then we gradually phased it out and I am still on the PPI which works great.
  • Posted

Hi.. I had this for a while. It's an anti-sickness med, it doesn't really help with the acid or reflux but dose help the yucky sicky feeling...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.