Please help me find a surgeon to do open myomectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a 14cm fibroid and a 7cm dermoid on my left ovary I live in Bournemouth and all the gynaecologist recommend hysterectomy but I want to keep my uterus if possible can anyone recommend a good surgeon in Dorset or Hampshire 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I don't know if you would be willing to travel further, but I've just had an open myomectomy in Bristol for 5 fibroids one of which weighed just over 7lbs!

I have also heard that Dorchester hospital are very good.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I would be willing to travel, I am having so many problems with it now having to self catheterise due to urine retention Who was your surgeon in Bristol? I hope you recover well and quickly
  • Posted

Hello, 

I had my open myomectomy done at university college hospital london, gower street. I had a positive experience there. Just fyi i had multiple subsesorol and intranmural fibroids. You may have to travel if you want to have the surgery done quickly..

• Posted

Thank you for your reply I think I will have to travel just want to get it sorted out but do not want a hysterectomy if possible
  • Posted

Have you considered Uterine Fibroid Embolization?  I had that done, it's not walk in the park, but you preserve your uterus.  It wouldn't address the ovary, though, which would need to be removed (but you have a spare : ) 
    • Posted

I would consider it How did you get on and was your fibroid or fibroids very large? How long did it take to shrink as I am having bladder and bowel problems and need to get something sorted out as soon as possible Thank you for your reply
    • Posted

My fibroid was large, 9 cm. it softens almost immediately so you would get quick relief, but it takes months to actually shrink.   The first week post embolization you will have very painful cramps as the fibroid is deprived of its blood supply. That first week was a TOUGH week, but I've read that it is safer than a hysterectomy.  You'll need to research someone with extensive experience in UFE.  I'm not sure if they would do this proc sure on a 14 cm fibroid, it really depends on where it is, i.e. Intramural etc.   I feel good now, no more heavy periods, probably put me into menopause, which is a common side effect in women over the age of 45. 
    • Posted

Hi. I had a 25cm penduculated fibroid, 15cm subserous fibroid and 14 other 1cm fibroids removed by open myomectomy in August. They weighed a total of 2.33 kilos.

I had the op done by Dr Isaac Manyonda at St George's Hospital in Tooting. I chose him for the op after lots of research. He was highly recomended by other Gynaecologists.

If you are willing to travel that far I would highly recommend him. The only problem is the waiting list can be up to 4 months but I was prepared to wait rather than seek another gynaecologist who would only have offered me a hysterectomy

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply, I am willing to travel, I will contact him and see if I can get the op there The gynaecologists I have seen all recommend hysterectomy but if I could I would like to preserve my uterus. I hope you are recovering well. How long has your recovery taken? I had a previous laparotomy for peritonitis due to ruptured appendix so realise that. Adhesions may complicate surgery so really need a surgeon who is skilled in complex gynaecology Thank you again I really appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I am so pleased UAE has worked for you I am looking into all options but as I have a large cyst on my ovaries feel surgery may be the best option for me at this time I appreciate you sharing your experience with me thank you
    • Posted

Thank you so very much for your recommendation I have recently undergone open myomectomy and removal of dermoid by Prof Manyonda Surgery was complex due to past adhesions but he did an amazing job and I feel so much better even so shortly after surgery I am very grateful to you and would recommend Prof Manyonda to anyone
  • Posted

Hi just seen your post - I also live in Bournemouth and was recommended Mr Taylor who works at Bournemouth Hospital as well as the private hospitals. I had a lo of problems with gynaecologists in the area. I was originally diagnosed with several fibroids both inside and outside the ueterus whilst living in Glasgow. It has taken me nearly 4 years to get the gynaecologists to agree to this diagnosis - i initially was being seen at Poole but transfered to Bournemouth last year and had  laprascopic procedure done there in March which ruled out endo and proved I had a subserosal pedunculated fibroid that needs to be removed as they believe it to be the cause of several miscarriages. I am having this done in January. 
    • Posted

Hi I have just read your post I had surgery at the beginning of January with Prof Manyonda I am 3 weeks post op, he is an amazing surgeon and it was complex surgery I feel so much better and am so grateful for the recommendation above from Jackie I hope everything has gone well for you and your surgery was a success 
    • Posted

Hi 

Glad to hear it went well for you.

I finally had my surgery last Wednesday - it was delayed again by doctors strike and meant I had another surgeon which I wasn't too happy about. When meeting with her on the morning she again was trying to say that it was stupid to have such a large procedure for a small fibroid as it was only 4 cm and I thought we would be going home again and starting the whole process again. This did not help my anxiety (I also suffer from depression brought about in part by my experiences over the past few years) but thanks to my husbands instance the procedure went ahead. During the surgery not only did she find the original fibroid but also another (not sure the size but I know it weighed almost a kilo) on the outside of my ueterus and she finally admitted that this was probably the cause of all my symptoms. The post op care also wasn't very good and I ended up back in hospital yesterday as the procedure has upset other stomach issues I have which were caused in part by the pain medication I have been on for the past 8 years. My GP has already called and I am going to see him later to discuss how the 2nd fibroid was missed for so long and the treatment I have received by the gynae department of both local hospitals and why they ignored the diagnosis from Glasgow. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.