Stopped taking after 3 days..How long for side effects to go away ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was put on 5mg amlodipine 2 weeks and stopped taking after 3 days cause I was experiencing cold/tingling feeling in my feet and no matter what I did I couldn't get my feet warm. I am still having the feelings in my feet. How long do side effects last after u stop taking this medication ?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Should not take long as you have not been taking for long enough to have much effect. 
    • Posted

Thanks for the response. Idk what is going on then cause I still have cold feet that comes and goes.
  • Posted

Could just be incidental, this drug does weird things to lots of people. GPs just do not respond to patients qualms about the drug. I had to demand that I was changed to another drug. People were asking me if I had work done on my face as it became so puffy - matched my ankles!!!!
    • Posted

I have heard a lot of negative things about this drug but have not been back to my Dr to see if she can put me on something else. I already take 40 mg of lisinopril for my blood pressure.
    • Posted

michelemuffin...You are taking Lisinipril which is in the ACE Inhibitor category. You'll find most bp medications ending with 'pril' are in that same class. You didn't say how long you've been taking this medication. You could, for example take a diuretic, unless there's one contained in the Lisinipril. If you continue not taking the Amlodipine, & go with the Lisinipril with a diuretic, you're still taking just 2 bp medications. You'd still be classed as being on 2 bp medications with the Lisinipril & Amlodipine. If you've been on the Lisinipril for a very short period of time,  you could develop a dry nagging cough, which is very characteristic of ACE Inhibitors. On the other hand, you may not develop this cough. I have friends who were prescribed Coversyl (another ACE Inhibitor) & they had to come off it in less than a week because of the cough. I have no trouble with the Coversyl at all. So you see, everyone is different. The Amlodipine is good for some, & not good for others, as I've mentioned in an earlier post.
  • Posted

michelmuffin....I'm sorry to have to say this to you, but you didn't give the Amlodipine any sort of chance. You stopped taking it after 3 days...that's no time at all. I'm sure your doctor would tell you the very same thing. The tingling /cold in your feet likely is something else. 

It's obvious you were prescribed Amlodipine for a reason...bp,perhaps? I'm certainly not an advocate of Amlodipine (hate the stuff) but in honesty, you haven't given it a chance.

• Posted

Amlodipine is support to help with Rayaud's Symdrome - cold feet and hands.  But my feet were purple black from the cold and this drug did not help me at all.  Feet always freezing cold.  I've been off it now for 15 days and the dizziness is slowing down.  It usually takes between 7 - 8 days for it to subside.  I have been studying this 5 mg. drug and came across some interesting facts about the metabolites that get stored in the liver, etc.  I'll post it tonight.  Linda 
    • Posted

Lindybowers...you're right. Amlodipine (Calcium Channel Blocker) can be used as a medication for Reynaud's. Keep in mind...there are other medications out there for Reynaud's. I was told years ago, that I had Reynauds, but wasn't officially tested for it. The Dr. based his decision on what I told him my symptoms were. As recently as 2 weeks ago, I had some bloodwork done (quite extensive I might add), whereby ANA & ENA were tested...both came back negative. ANA tests for autoimune disease, as does ENA to a degree, so if I truly have Reynaud's there would have been some indication of Autoimmune. I would suspect I simply have a sensitivity to cold. Try putting warm packs in your boots & gloves. It helps tremendously. LIving here in Canada, our Winters can be very cold, & my feet can get so cold, I can barely feel them, but I combat that with packs in my boots. 

If the 5mgs of Amlodipine didn't work, why wasn't it upped to 10mgs? Bear in mind, the higher the dose (as with any medication), the higher the risk of side effects. Swollen feet/legs is very common with Amlodipine, so be wary. Don't be fooled that by taking a diuretic this will counteract the effects of swollen feet/ankles. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.