Eye patch or no Eye patch

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ok heres the deal, I have had a cateract in my left eye for several years now. In the past year one day my left eye kind of went poof all of the sudden and pretty must lost all visability in it. Can see some light still, but it's pretty much gone. Now I'm low income pretty much and have no insurance, so surgery is out of the question at this time. Now a friend said something to me the other day that kinda makes sense to me and would like some other opinions. What he said to me, is that because my left eye can still see some light, it struggles my good eye in a way that it could cause problems and I would be better off putting a patch over my left eye to black it out so my right eye can properly compisate for the left one. Does this make any sense to anybody here????

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You should not have to live like that!  Where do you live?  My mother-in-law racked up a lot of medical bills and told them she couldn't afford to pay them.  She sent in $5 or $10 a month and they accepted it.  As long as you pay something some doctors will accept what you pay.  I would check into some kind of help to see if you can find someone that can do something.  Having cataracts usually comes with age.  I recently had surgery and I am 67. If you are in the U.S Medicare will help.  As far as the patch, why not give it a try and see if you notice any difference.

keep us posted and let us know how things turn out.

• Posted

I live in Florida and as far as I have found, there is no options like you speak here unless it is an emergency. The Florida has the worse medical care I have ever seen, with what I've seen it put my girlfriend and other people I know through and they have insurance. And I am only 42 yrs old so I don't have social security or disability options

• Posted

You mentioned being low income.  Would you qualify for Medicaid?  Maybe you could go on line and set up a "go fund me" account?  Up here in Ohio a guy received over $100,000 to make potato salad!  Ridiculous!  I know the cost of surgery since just having it done!  The hospital bill alone was over $8,000!  Luckily I have good insurance!  Of course Obamacare is supposed to take care of that!  You don't have insurance so I assume you are being fined because of it!  A family member of my brother's said the fine was cheaper than paying for the  insurance!  You can't win!  Keep trying!  Yo need some help!  Keep posted!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.