5 Months Post Op ~ Any Advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone

I just completed 5 months post op and I must say I'm happy I had the operation. It was very difficult at first because I had both feet done at the same time but I'm healing nicely. My ankle is still stiff and so are my toes, but I'm slowly improving. My muscles are weak and I still didn't exercise. Any good advice is more than welcome.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise. I too had both feet done but 7.5 months ago. At 5

months stage I was still struggling with some pain and stiffness.I have to say though that I think it is really just a waiting game inrelation to these niggly things. Try to focus on putting all your

weight from your heel through your toes. Also make sure you arewearing shoes that will support your feet and your ankle. Ithought I was never going to be pain free again and unable towalk properly but gradually, I noticed slight improvements. I still have some stiffness especially in the morning but I am hoping there is still time for more improvements. If you are concerned though you might want to see a podiatrist who might be able to prescribe you some orthotics. I have an appointment next week to

see one just to make sure everything is as it should be. Hang in

there as things do get better.

• Posted

Hi Margot

A friend of mine who had her feet done told me it takes one year for full recovery. So I guess that's what we should be expecting. Thank you so much for your kind reply! Take care.

• Posted

Did you do PT to learn the exercises to do in order to start regaining your strength?
    • Posted

Hi Kaliana

Actually I didn't and I should have.. This is where I'm lacking. I did toe exercises after my operation as well as reflexology but no serious PT to be honest.. 

• Posted

You still could. Better late than never.
  • Posted

Hi Loubie

Glad to hear your healing nicely.

I am 10 weeks post op now however i only had one foot done .

I have been going swimming most days and i feel that just walking and and doing some exercise is the water has really helped me strengthen my ankle .

• Posted

I think swimming is brilliant but I didn't do that as well.. I promised myself to start walking.. as a start towards exercising.. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for your message. Best of luck to you too!
  • Posted

Hi Loubie,

I am nearly 4 months post op on one foot and it's only the last few days I have noticed a great improvement in my walking. I thought I was going to be limping forever but now it's just at the end of the day when I,m tired. It's really important to excercise the big toes and ankle to get your mobility back. This can be painful at times but stick with it.  I even got my foot into a pair of low heeled shoes for the first time since the op I,m so happy😀😀😀

Good luck.x

• Posted

Hi Carole

You know that I'm more comfortable in low heels than I am in flat shoes? I think the trick is to persevere and to stick to the exercises no matter what. Best of luck to you too dear and all the best xox

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.