Zoladex and Fibroids

Posted , 5 users are following.

After being diagnosed with my second DVT I was put on blood thinners and to my horror I bleed so bad that I felt like I was bleeding to death. After having an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with multiple uterine fibroids seven months ago and have been having zoladex injections for the last six months in preparation for a hysterectomy. I was told originally that zoladex shrinks the fibroids and stops all bleeding and once the zoladex is stopped the fibroids grow again and bleeding resumes. I've just been told that I am not getting an further zoladex injections and that I no longer qualify for surgery. The doctor tells me that only "normal periods will resume and that could be months off. The fibroids should have disappeared by now." What he fails to understand is that the last injection was two weeks late and bleeding started back then and hasnt stopped. My understanding of Zoladex with fibroidsm is that is is used to shrink fibroids to make it easier for surgery and that once you stop zoladex things begin to grow inside again. I'm not sure who or what to believe on this drug anymore. Anyone out there in this situation?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with getting the medical attention you would want. I am on Zoladex, and since I am 51, I will stay on it until menopause. Yes, my understanding is that usually, after about 3 months, the fibroids start to grow back; however, I think there is some variability in how quickly and how much they grow back. I was reading one study, and some individuals started to grow back and others seemed not to (or at least problems didn't get so bad again that they needed further intervention). It may be a wait and see -- if your suffering gets as bad when off the medication. Since you're staying the bleeding started again even when the meds were late, you may have more difficulties quickly. I too have been very late with the next needle at times, but didn't start menstrating again even then. 

Are you able to get another opinion from a different doctor? We have that option in Canada and it is covered by insurance, you may not have that same luxury... but might be one option.

Best wishes for straightening out your options and choives. 

Jamie 

• Posted

Hi coffee chick

When u were taking and after the injections were stopped that zoladex injection did u controlled ur diet which are the cause of fibroids. Or u had ur routine diet. During the time u will diagnosed with fibroids did u controll eating those foods which are make fibroid grow.

• Posted

what are these foods that cause fibroids to grow ?
    • Posted

Hi coffee chick

The foods make fibroid grow thats why asking did u change ur diet during the time u were taking injection. Or u were eating everything do let me know the whole process during that time then i can explain u the foods we must avoid.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi. Not one doctor that I have seen has mentioned anything about diet changes. So any information that can help would be appreciated.
    • Posted

HI Batoo, I do not eat junk food. I eat lots of green veges and fish and have to have at least two servings of red meat per week due to an iron deficiency which is unresolved even with iron tablets. Milk is trim variety if or when I have it. I do not eat a lot of bread. Lots of salads for lunch. Snack of nuts and cranberry mix during day.
    • Posted

Hi coffeechick have u taken those zoladex injections or waiting for second opinion to take those injection. If u have taken those and what about those fibroids and shrinkage. Did u feel any difference after taking those injection on your fibroids If u let me know that u have taken zoladex injection or not then i can know what going on.

Thanks

• Posted

Wait. . What?! So you had zoladex to prepare for surgery and now you don't qualify? That sounds ridiculous. Fibroids are known to grow back, often to their original size, after hormone treatment finishes. I would definitely get a second opinion because that doesn't make sense at all. And you don't want to end up taking another course of zoladex because it's bad for your bone density. Is it because you're considered close to menopause? Because fibroids generally disappear once menopause is reached.
    • Posted

Ridiculous isnt what I said, but yes it is. I have just turned 44 so a we way off menopause. I am definitely getting a second opinion sooner rather than later.
  • Posted

Also, the diet correlation is a little tenuous. There appears to be some evidence that you're more likely to get fibroids if you're overweight and eat a lot of processed ham and no green vegetables. ... but I'm a slim vegetarian and it didn't stop me getting them. (I'm on my third week of zoladex in preparation of a myomectomy.) ... Still, it's a good idea to up your dark greens, switch to herbal tea and liberally sprinkle your food with turmeric. There are a lot of forums on diet vs fibroids so you might want to check them out (I found some of the advice a bit daunting). Best wishes for sorting out this situation!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.