Looking for Fellow 11-12 Week Post-Op Hippies

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everone,

Just reaching out to hear about your experiences at 11-12 weeks post op.  For example, energy and activity levels, sleeping, exercise, or anything else you can share.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi

i don't quite fit your time frame, but I'll comment anyway.

i had one hip,replaced six months ago, and one 7 weeks ago.  Both anterior by a brilliant surgeon.  I am walking on a local path 1.5 miles a day as well as my usual daily routines, plus I use an elliptical machine 20 minutes a day.  Some of my quad muscles are a little tender, but they were before surgery due to limping around for 18 months.

honestly I feel fantastic.  After each surgery I only used pain medication for a week.  I don't take anything now, not even ibuprofen. 

Im very lucky to have had the fantastic surgeon.

• Posted

Thanks for your response, glad that hear you are doing so well.  I guess I shouldn't have but such tight perimeters on my subject.  Were you very active prior the surgery?
    • Posted

I know you said you were limping.  I was too, but did you exercise before surgery?
    • Posted

Riley: the local rheumatologist miss-read my X-ray and I then spent 18 months severely limping trying to find out what was wrong with me.  Finally met surgeon and she quickly scheduled me for surgery.  I was active prior to before all this started and am looking forward to being 100% fit again.  Haven't used cane since week 2.
  • Posted

A lot of hippies have gone back to work by 11/12

weeks. I am coming up to 7 weeks next week.I am

approaching giving up the crutch soon, do not sleep

in the day, am not on painkillers, but still get some

muscle ache, walking 30/40 minutes in two sessions,

have an afternoon 1/2 hour lie down, drive the car,

got decent flexibility, pretty average really. There are

fast moving 'stars' on this forum, who sail through 

everything, but for most of us it is slower.

It doesn't matter as long as the result is painfree

mobility, no limp, and a better lifestyle!

tell us how you are progressing.

Cathie

• Posted

Cathie,

Thanks for your response.  You sound like you are doing really well.  I am doing about the same except for 2 things.  I still take pain med at night because my groin and muscles ache.  I also have difficulty with my energy level.  For instance, if I watch my granddaughter, she is 2, I'm 56, the next day I am exhausted and achey.  But guess my biggest concern right now is my energy level.

• Posted

I am sure that even without your recent op looking after

a 2year old would wreck you! The bending, lifting, not just,

as you say, watching, would try people much younger than

you, factor in that hip replacements can take up to a year

to fully integrate with you, and the muscles which have been

cut and are regrowing, and your tiredness is explained. Try

reading the letters from this forum to your 2 year old and she

might go to sleep. Don't lose your sense of humour, we all

need that to recover!

Cathie

• Posted

Hi Riley. I am 55 and 12 weeks over op on Tuesday coming, now I am doing reasonably well, I have issues with my lower back but I think it is more stiffness than pain mostly in the morning or when getting in to or out of the car. I met a friend who also had THR and he said he had back probs too but it will go away, he is 7 months over op. It was a relief to hear this  Now I am not back at work and will not be going back for at least 2 more months ( I need to be sure I am fully ready my work is physical) don't get me wrong I would like to go back now, need to be earning again but my health is too important to me. My wife has this embedded into my brain and she is right (well this time anyway) ha ha  
    • Posted

Hi Andolino,

Thanks for your response. I was 12 weeks yesterday.  I haven't had back issues, but it is understandable considering your hip replacement probably realigned your whole frame.  I always had/had stiffness, I also have groin pain and muscle ache, especially after a lot of activity. It's not too bad though.  I find that I still tire easily.  If I have a big day, then I have very little energy the next day.  So I would say listen to your body and take your wife's advice.  A few months to get stronger now is better than a setback and additional recovery later.  

• Posted

Hi Riley, i'm 20 years old and have had my first Hip replacement(left) due to Perthes disease. I'm not quite at the 11-12 week mark, but it has been 7 weeks since surgery date. I mananged to dislocate twice in hospital due to more bone grinded off pelvic area (This also contrubutes to the deformity i had and surgical reposition to make my leg straight). Throughout my recovery so far ive had great pain levels until these last 5 days where ive had incresed pain. Just saw surgeon today and he said its just because of my age and i have been abit too quick at getting back too normal. oppz :P (xrays look great!)

Sleeping: Its been great! No problems there. Attempted laying on stomach, but it didn't feel nice with a tugging pain in pelvic/groin area.

Energy: Not too bad. Very tired by the end of the day. (Causes brain fuzzies)

Activity Levels and Exercise: Amost walking 1km in one walk. Its mainly pain free, just alittle bit of irritation in pelvic/groin area.

Iv'e been driving and its extremely easy for me to get in and out of car/bed.

Bring on my next hip replacement(right) in 3 months time!

• Posted

Laura,

Glad to hear you're sleeping well considering the pain you've had.  I would  think sleeping on your stomach would be out, at least for now.  Sounds like you are doing pretty well at week 7.  You are young and probably want  to do everything.  Take your time, you are still in the very early stages of recovery.  Keep us updated on your progress and your next surgery.  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi I'm 8 weeks post op and everything is great, but I understand the energy levels thing. I'm 50 and back at work now. I went back on a phased return and this week I'm doing 6/7 hour days, but I am tired at the end of the day. I walk the dog at least a mile in the morning, then go to work 10-5 and come home shattered! I don't have the energy just yet to go swimming on an evening - as I used to 3 times a week before the op - hopefully won't be too long tho as I am desperate to get back into it, and my thighs need toning up lol.

I'm lucky my partner cooks the evening meal and does general housework and on my days off I do the washing, ironing so it works quite well......but yes I understand the lack of energy and tiredness xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.