Off to the races

Posted , 12 users are following.

T-minus 8 hours before I check in at the hospital. Here we go =)

I know I haven't been putting up with this as long as some of you amazing people, but 6 months of misery with 3 of those on a collapsed hip is enough for me.

My surgeon is amazing. He said 36 is young, and a lot of surgeons would try other treatment first, but that he would do the THR since I'll need a revision eventually, even if I waited 5-10 more years. (not a chance)

I'll post again once I've become the amazing bionic man.

Best of luck to anyone else heading in to the machine shed today.

Rob

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Very best of luck!!!! You'll be fine!! Trotting on your Zimmer tomorrow!
  • Posted

Hey Rob,

I will be thinking of you today. I was going to say, you will sail right through this. ... Although, with a THR at any age, it's a challenge. Having the same diagnosis and being about the same age, I think shortly, you will be extremely happy with your decision. Any questions big or small, I'm around. I really believe that just doing a THR instead of the other options for AVN is the right thing. Eventually we both would have needed these if we had tried something else. If our hips last as long as they should, I will be right ahead of you in line for revisions. Lol! Anyways, best of luck. My AVN pain was gone by the time I woke up, say so goodbye to it. I'm sure you won't miss it! wink

• Posted

Good Luck Rob see you on the other side.

I am at almost 8 months on a collapsed hip so I totally get you.

I is so painful., Cant wait for mine to be done either.

• Posted

Rob, good luck, a week ago today i was in your shoes people said it will be ok an they were right better than ok.  See you on the hippie side hun xx
    • Posted

Wonderful to hear you are doing well, Sue =)    I'm kinda just on auto-pilot now. Let the folks who know what they're doing do their thing, and yes, the other side awaits.
  • Posted

Not too surprisingly, I'm wide awake at 0200. I have to be up in 3 hours, so looks like I'll get my sleep during surgery.

CanadianGirl, that's pretty funny. Maybe in 30 years we'll still be here, doling out advice to all the new folks, and we can celebrate our Revision day. lol.   It will be interesting to see what kind of hips they'll have by then!   I read on your other post the problems you're having with your appointment scheduling.  I hope you definitely go in up-in-arms.  It's understandable to a degree since its just a job for these people and they hear the same thing a lot, but they also need to understand this isn't something we go through every day, especially in your case where you had a slotted time-frame to test results, or lack there-of, by waiting.

Back to a movie I think.. maybe a boring one to put me out for a couple hours? haha.

• Posted

Good luck Rob, I am 6 months after my op and it's brill.......... see you on the other side love Gill xx
  • Posted

An hour to go now .... all the very best, see you on the other side with your new bionic implant.

Here's to a good and speedy recovery

Graham

• Posted

Good luck for today, I've got my op on the 9th dec!! Hope you have a good recovery!
  • Posted

God Luck with your op Rob.  I am sure we will all be thinking of you.  And do remember it is the anticipation of these events that are the worst times.  Once yiu are through to the other end, you are on your way back to a better quality of life.  It will be a pain for the first few weeks, but it is positive, not negative.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Rob - see you on the other side as a new hippie,
  • Posted

I'm back from the land of the drug induced dead, New hip intact. The surgery was painless and I was released under a walking cane and all the usual posterior restrictions.

5 days post op now. My only pressing concern is the old bowels. I've been on softeners, eatting and drinking well, but no movement yet. I took a stimulant this afternoon and hoping that works, as I'm having mild discomfort now.

Any suggestions?

The hip is doing great in comparison .

• Posted

Rob, glad all ok, chochlate works for me, took it in to hospital made everone laugh but it worked.

sue

• Posted

Oh that can be a real pain in the a... 

I suffered alternate constipation and diarrhea, quite a combination.

As Gaby says, dates, figs, prunes, prune juice, fibrous cerials (bran flakes, all bran etc) also help a lot.

I have some 'wheat bran' from Jordans which is just what it says on the packet - hard to find in supermarkets, but we live close to Jordans mill, so I can get it there.

Graham

• Posted

Try senna pods, Andrews Liver Salts, prune juice.  Other option is to get yourself to a professional for a colonic irrigation.  That'll clean you out - fast...  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.