Finally

Posted , 2 users are following.

After months of pain and bleeding I switched doctors last week. I was prescribed birth control pills and iron as I have become anemic. I was also prescribed pain pills but my insurance did not cover and I could not afford 215 dollars. Go figure. Apparently I have "legions" of fibroids. So a full hysterectomy is my best bet. I am OK with that. I am 36 and have 6 children. The main thing I am concerned about is my new doctor mentioned I may need a blood transfusion before surgery. Also, I am not too thrilled with the idea of how long recovery is. I have things to do, I do not like the idea of "taking it easy." One thing is certain, I can not wait to get rid of these fibroids. I will be back this afternoon with an update.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

do not worry about a blood transfusion, i had one due to bad anemia and it really is fine, I had 2 units and think it took about 4 hours. Did the doc say what kind of hysterectomy would be done, are they taking the ovaries and the cervix ? I am sure with 6 children you are always busy, but will you need a few weeks at least
    • Posted

He said it looks like I can keep both ovaries. smile He will have to cut. Can not be done vaginally.
    • Posted

oh that is great re the ovaries. i am also 36 (no kids though), so admire you for having 6 amazing ! debating the hysterectomy though, more concerned about how i will be after rahter than the not being able to have kids. When will you have the hysterctomy
  • Posted

Hi, I would say if you are taking the iron tablets, and eating plenty ofiron rich foods, you should be ok.

My blood levels were previously low, always ensure I eat plenty of redmeat, and they are fine now.

The recovery depends upon the type of hysterectomy. I am 4 weeks post op, keyhole hysterectomy, uterus, womb & fallopian tubes went, left my ovaries.

The surgeon said that some people go back to work after a couple of weeks, it varies so much from one person to another.

I am still 'taking it easy' i.e. no heavy lifting etc, but can move about,just got to be careful bending down etc.

Hope this helps x

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.