Ruptured Achillies Tendon When can I drive

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, 

Just partially ruptured my tendon on my right leg.  I really do not care about how long it takes to recover, but need to know how long before I can drive.  At the moment they are suggesting the conservative route, but will opt for surgery if that is quicker

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Took me 10 weeks before I could drive a manual. I was driving an automatic by week 4 though.
    • Posted

Same here, left foot. Driving an automatic by 5 weeks, 11 weeks back on the manual with the consultant's go-ahead
  • Posted

I would do everything they tell you to do. Mine was partially ruptured and was not going to get any better so surgery. I was 6 wks non weight bearing with my foot up every minute of the day for that time. The physical therapist said that's why I was so far along and had no swelling. If you don't keep it up swelling occurs and slows your healing progress. And no walking/ standing on it...nothing. As far as driving. Couldn' t do it with the cast but after I could walk on my foot with a walking boot I drove at about 7 1/2 weeks. Here's the thing...if you drive and get caught since it's your right foot you will probably get a ticket and insurance will probably not cover an accident. I find I can only drive a short distance because my foot hurts and I need to put it up. Your driving is severely limited because the boot is very big and you don't have strength nor can you feel how hard you are pushing with your right foot. I have to use my left but don't have the pain I had when 1st got the boot. I would give driving some more thought.Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks.  Doing in the right foot is a real pain.  Even looking at automatices with left foot accelerators
  • Posted

My surgery was March 12, 2015.  It was also my right foot.  I was in 3 casts and a boot and was not able to drive until June 19, 2015.  My recovery never seemed right, although I did everything I was told to do by my podiatrist (who did the surgery and treatment).  I was an excellent patient.  I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon, however, because my previous doc never addressed my limping and charlie horses or lack of ability to build my calf muscle.  Apparently my tendon was either not repaired correctly or reruptured, because I was just diagnosed with a complete rupture again.  It is unclear if the podiatrist ever even had it repaired, as he never did a post surgery MRI.  I am looking at another surgery, but potentially with a graft tendon.  Getting help from others was the hardest part.  Getting around town for groceries, doctor appointments, etc. was difficult.  For getting around the house, I recommend a knee scooter (with a basket).  The knee scooter saved me from a lot of discouragement and gave me a lot of independance in my home.  I wish you well, and my advise is:  be sure you have the right doctor, follow their orders (don't rush it) and use a knee scooter.  Good luck!
  • Posted

Update.

Thanks for your replies.

I am now into week 11.  Out of the boot and driving with doctor's advice.  The foot feels stiff but otherwise no effects.  Infact i think driving is helping.  Still had no physio, so being very cautiuous. 

• Posted

Hi,

Now week 13, just had PT with very gentle exercises.  Her comment was that surprised how well the ankle was heeled.  So maybe I am being lucky.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.