Supermarket Delivery Services

Posted , 16 users are following.

Wondering in anyone has had experience of supermarket delivery services?

I have been looking at the Ocado website that delivers Waitrose products.  I am wondering how they compare with Sainsbury, Tesco and Waitrose themselves?  They seem to offer a pretty good range of products.  But, who is the best for actually delivering when they say they will, and delivering what has been ordered?

Obviously, I am thinking of the few weeks post op when I will not be able to drive.

Many thanks,

Susie

2 likes, 57 replies

57 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I use ocado and couldn't be without them. I have used them ocado to deliver my shopping for around 10 years. It is just as well as I would never be able to manage a supermarket shop now anyway.

All large supermarkets deliver so it depends on your favourite. 

Book early for christmas slots whomever you choose! 

• Posted

I use tesco when I am unable to get out, I used them last week and you pay delivery charge plus if you want to use their bags they charge a one off charge of 40p and then doesn't matter how many bags you use.
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I use sainsburys a lot and i can definitely recommend them but it may depend on your location. Never used Ocado but I have tried to use Waitrose unfortunately their website was so confusing I gave up. Used Tesco once - enough said!!! The sainsburys delivery drivers have always brought my shopping into the kitchen without being asked. The Tesco one said he was only contracted to bring it to the door but that may have just been him and not company policy. 

If if sainsburys don't have the product they will send an alternative but you don't have to accept it and they also send short shelf life stuff in separate bags - again you don't have to accept it. Refunds come through very quickly. 

Good luck. 

• Posted

Very surprised at your remarks about Tesco delivery drivers. I use them a lot and they have always been on time ( they have one hour delivery slots from £1)  and the drivers deliver into my kitchen without being asked, they are cheerful and polite. They send alternative products, the driver points it out and you don't have Ito have it she will take it back. I love having a delivery particularly for big items, potatoes, washing powder etc. Got better things to do than wander round the supermarket pushing a trolley. 

• Posted

I agree Tesco drivers have always been helpful and a pound for delivery is very good value.  they also ring if they are going to be late.

Ali 2

• Posted

We do tesco, asda and sainsbury, tesco is the best asda seem to forget half the shopping, while we are like we re, home shopping is brilliant.  They will carry to your door and deliver it inside. Then you can put it away, and i am sure if you aske the driver he will carry to your kitchen.
  • Posted

Waitrose direct best avoided, but ocado is great for waitrose shopping. Drivers always deliver to your kitchen and will put it on kitchen surfaces so no bending. They are also so friendly and professional, and on time. No hanging around.

Bags are refunded and the flash sales are great. They give free gifts too at the end of a sho.

Also all of the food is carefully choosen for maximum amount of days to expiry, which saves money and time.. and stops me getting annoyed. I know some supermarkets send all of their old fresh food. 

Good luck, I am sure it will be invaluable as time goes on!

• Posted

Living alone supermarket delivery was a godsend in the early days. I used Tesco and Waitrose and both were great with helpful drivers who brought the stuff into the kitchen and put it all out on the work tops for me.
  • Posted

I used Tesco and they were brilliant, I did find however if you go for a 4 hour slot instead of a 2 hour it is cheaper and they also ring you and tell you what time they will be here. I can't fault them at all.
    • Posted

Hi Gill:

I am targeting the couple or so weeks after the op, whenn I will feel really washed out and not wish to go through elablorate preparations.  So, for the first couple of weeks, ready meals would be the solution.  I have found Tesco's ready meals to be too palatable.  In fact, I have had frequent upset stomachs with them.  

I think the best solution for me, is to try Ocado and Waitrose ready meals before op time, and see who comes out on top.

Have had some very bad experiences with one or two of my local supermarkets.  

• Posted

Hi Susie

I have tried most of the delivery services and I would say go with your preferred shop. I found Ocado excellent an excellent delivery service but a little more expensive but thats of course up to you. Knowing I wouldnt be able to drive for 6-8 weeks I bought a 3 month Sainsburys delivery pass (they are the ones I use most). Its great as long as you spend a minimum of £40 each time you can have a delivery every day if you want to. They are always on time, helpful and will of course carry the items through to the kitchen for you. I have found it invaluable - whether you live alone or  you want to keep as independant as possible, excellent value.

So whichever one you prefer I would say go for it as it will be a big help to you as you recover.

Linnet x

• Posted

I use Tesco mainly because I shop there anyway being our nearest supermarket and have had no trouble we live in a village where a lot of the houses are named and the numbering is also confusing so we occasionally will call to check where we are. They will bring it in if I wanted but I choose not to as my husband is around. Have had no complaints 
  • Posted

Hi Susie,

I have switched from Tesco to Ocado and cannot speak too highly of them.

Ocado stuff is Waitrose, more or less. Better quality than Tesco but about level with Sainsbury's.

Free delivery, they text you to say they are ten minutes away. They are prompt and the drivers are nice and cheerful.

Enjoy

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley:

I live in the Trowbridge area of Wiltshire.  The biggest supermarket is Tesco.  I have tried their ready meals, if I have found that I am too busy to cook, and without exception, I have been disappointed in the quality, and in several cases have had quite nasty stomach upsets.  It may not be Tesco's fault should the food be "off," so much depends upon the qulaity of staff, and how the food is handled in transit and once it reaches the store.  I know that a kot of food sits around, once it has been delivered to the supermarket, and that is when the dangers occur.  

I am not really a ready meals fan, but for the few weeks after the op, when I am feeling really washed out, a quality ready meal would be the answer, as long as I am able to access good quality frozen veg, too.  Much prefer fresh, but that will be out of the question for a while.

I may well opt for Ocado as they do a lot of Waitrose products which I understand, are at the higher end of the market.  

Not entirely used to UK food, as I have lived in the US for so long.

Many thanks for your help, and I think you are right to switch to Ocado, and I will give them a trial run.

Kind regards,

Susie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.