Achilles tendon - pain and lump. Wait to see orthotist?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've got an appointment to see an orthotist in a few weeks about orthoses for mid-foot arthritis.  The podriatic surgeon who referred me told me to get back to him if the orthoses don't work, as the next step will be surgery.  So, I am still under his care.

In the past few weeks my left achilles tendon has been particularly painful.  It aches at rest and I have a lump on the tendon. The right one is tender, too, but the left is worse.   I was going to wait and mention it when I see the orthotist, in the hope that he/she may be able to help with this, too.

The consultant doesn't know about this problem, as my GP referred me to him solely for the arthritis.  Is it OK to wait a few more weeks to discuss it with the orthotist?  Or should I let the consultant know about it?  Just wondering if the orthotist will be able to help if I haven't been referred for that particular problem.      

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello Rosiemags,  I would definately ask to see a consultant and ask him/her to arrange for a MRI Scan as that is the only way to determine exactly what is wrong.

James Dixon

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, James.  I bit the bullet today and phoned the consultant's secretary.  The outcome is that I will be seeing him next week, so really pleased about that.

He is very good and I know he will investigate thoroughly.

Best wishes.

• Posted

Just an update.  The consultant's secretary told me I had to see the GP before seeing the consultant - it's concerned with finances.  So, I saw the GP, who wanted me to have a scan before I see the consultant, so that we know what we are dealing with.  That will be next week, I think.  So I had to cancel the consultant appointment for the time being.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.