Hi. What does YOUR ibs pain feel like?

Posted , 30 users are following.

do you feel it daily?

im trying to see what others go through as their struggles .

thanks

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I've had the ibs tag for over 20 years. For me it's a tight ball in my tummy, so tight I can barely stand. I take antispasmodics daily and if I don't it gets so tight I wretch uncontrollably. I'm now seeing a consultant for ?crohns disease. I say ? as my tests came back raised for inflammation and I'm suffering with terrible joint pain, rashes and blisters in my mouth but my colonoscopy was clear. The theory is its in my small bowel. I have pain most days but can differentiate between the ibs pain and the possible IBD pain
    • Posted

jo19531. Good luck with your diagnosis. I was told I have IBS years ago, but I recently suffered a colitis episode and the ER said "consider inflammation/Infection." MY GI tells me it presents as IBS with infectious colitis. The attack was the morning after Thanksgiving and I'm still feeling some of the effects. No diarrhea apart from that one night, now my regular bowel movements have struggled to be regular again. I feel fine other than pain in my sides and a slow recovery towards the lovely, regular bowel movements i used to have.  Apparently he said even if he wanted to do a colonoscopy he could never tell if the inflammation was from the supposed infection of recent, vs Crohn's.  And I had symmetrical bouts of arthralgia (pain but no joint swelling) for a few weeks before my attack. Now that's gone. 

Coincidence? Perhaps. I've had arthritis/arthralgia in places in the Autumn in years past, without other symptoms. So who knows. 

I looked at a lot of these other responses and others in the IBS forum. Things like burning pain in the pelvic area were things I would have assumed were IBD, but apparently a lot of IBS people say it's common. Going for a second opinion. I just hope my current doctor is right. 

• Posted

Hi I think I am one of the lucky ones . I only feel a bit bloated now and again plus I may get constipated maybe once a week ( other 6 days fine ) once in a while I get aches and pains like someone is stabbing my stomach but this is very very rare and it lasts no longer than a few hours .. Usually trapped wind I think . I used to moan about my IBS but after reading some of the stuff that people on here go through on a daily basis , I thanks my lucky stars that I only have the symptoms I do .
    • Posted

Just be careful and watch what u eat. I was just like u until last year and now every time I have an attack..which is at least twice a month. .. I feel like I have been Poisened. Its really hard to explain how I feel but being poisened is pretty close bc at first my stomach gets a terrible pain and it swells so large I look 9 months pregnant then I throw up.. I only get nauseas the first day but after that my whole body hurts and I'm so drained I can't do a thing. This lasts 6_8 days. I have just started a vegitarian diet with no oils or butter. I'm hoping this helps bc the drs dont do much.

• Posted

Yep pain most days unfortunately. Have tried loads of meds etc including Buscopan Colpermin Mebeverine etc etc . Tried omitting bread,lactose,coffee etc etc . Some success with Dicycloverine but also use co codamol. I was diagnosed with UC nearly three years ago but have managed to suppress it with Asacol and suppos. Tummy bloats most days and can only describe pain as "period like pain'. Tummy makes lots of noise and have loads of gas! Sometimes wonder if it's partly trapped wind pain? Often gets me down but others seem to suffer even more.
  • Posted

I have constant pain which is either dull, deep grinding, stabbing or sore to touch.  I mainly get constipated but I have also had loose stools.  The pain moves about all over my stomach, sometimes into my back and joints. It is aggravated by stress.
    • Posted

yours is very similar to what I had for about a year and a half.  I got to the point where the pain was constant in my left upper abdomen and eating anything aggrivated it.  Constipation followed by diahhrea, round and round.  Finally I got aggressive with the doctors and had several tests and had a colon resection in September. They took out a foot and a half of my colon and now I have no constant pain. I still have some other issues that are very mild and now I am able to eat real food instead of soft stuff.  Plus I have more energy. 
    • Posted

See that's why I never brought into up the ibs label. There's more to it, it's just an investiagtion process I guess sad I plan now on taking a intestinal anti inflammatory supplement now  . My probs started after being put on two antibiotics which made me so I'll I was forced to take anti inflammatorys and pain relievers every few hours for days until the antibiotic course was over and THEN I found out there was no reason to take the antis anyway it was just precautionary. I suspect damage done to gut lining as a result
    • Posted

Annie1963, would you mind sharing some more about what tests you had and what they found? I'm so glad you are feeling better. 

• Posted

I don't get it everyday. Sometimes it's just swapping with constipation and diarrhoea other times its a knot in my stomach that's being twisted and twisted. Immense pain until everything is out of my stomach and bowels. Sometimes doesn't stop and can't keep anything down so end up in a&e for intravenous drugs.
  • Posted

i have everything everyone has said below..including really bad stomach cramps. knotting feelings... feeling like some's squeezing my stomach. hate the feeling that u need the loo all the time, especially after coffee!!

i cant eat wheat, or drink milk. sad and no cheese for me. sad I feel for IBS sufferers.. :'(

• Posted

I often wonder if anyone else is going through this. While many say pain is "severe," that doesn't quite capture it.

I have attacks. I dread them. Pain gets gradually worse as stools get more and more loose. Eventually, the pain is so unbearable that I am crying, begging it to stop. trying to somehow escape it. My hands turn red and swell, my heart races, my head gets hot and my ears ring, and I am scared the pain is going to literally kill me. Usually, the stools finally become pure liquid, and then it gradually calms down. At times, I have even thought of suicide while in the throws.

Is anyone else this bad???

• Posted

Those sounds very much what I am experiencing

I am so very sorry

• Posted

I feel the same way I'm in so much pain and I don't know what to do it affects my work to a point I don't wanna leave the hous.

• Posted

YES! I have literally been going to the doctor for this for years now and I have been told multiple times that I need more fiber, drink more water...my doctor didn’t realize how severe my abdominal pains are until today and finally referred me to a GI doctor and prescribed me IBS medicine. I literally don’t want to eat most days because I can’t deal with this pain anymore....
    • Posted

This is exactly what happens to me. Happened this evening for the first time in 4 years. 

Crappy. Skin grts irritated, red and itchy. Bathroom, total sweats. Clothes off. It feel like contractions. 

The only way I can grt it to go is by getting in a boiling hot bath and doing the Cobra Yoga pose. Good god. Each attack like that wrecks you. I shocked my housemates this evening. Thry had no clue about IBS or what it can do. It's horrendous.

I feel so terrible for those of us who suffer daily. Thoughts are with you. 

Hoping one day they find a cure.

Steh

• Posted

Me too i cant deal with this anymore.. ruining my life.. i missed many days of work and sometimes feel hesitant to go out because i never know when this stomach attack is going to happen.. my stomach is grawling all the time and i havent been diagnosed yet so not sure if its IBS or something else but i got the same symptoms.. so yeah, i feel you.
    • Posted

I literally have almost the same pain as you do. I usually feel like a few days before I know an ibs attack is coming. It will start off slow then  it will get really bad. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.