Enlarged Pituitary Gland

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive just been given results back from my MRI scan and they told me I have an enlarged pituitary gland. I have had sweating, nausea, tiredness, bad headache and periods very heavy. Does anyone have any information or the road ahead what happens? I am due to have bloods tests just waiting for an appointment. Thanks, Sophie 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sophie

I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling too good. The symptoms you have talked about can all be hormone related which also can all link back to the pituitary gland. if you haven't had a blood test yet it's going to be hard to say exactly what to expect just yet as you don't know what is really going on. I had blood tests before I had mri scan as my periods stopped for a couple of years so i already knew I might have a prolactinoma which is a tumour on the gland. My symptoms were headaches, moodiness lack of libido and the main one, no periods. Its best to wait and try not to worry to much until you know more through the blood tests. I as the same as many others have to take cabergoline which brings down prolactin levels and allows me to have my monthly cycle but there are some people whose periods don't stop with this kind of tumour. There is a lot of great info online but wait until you know more before you go round in circles wondering what is wrong. Above all, these tumours are largely benign if it is a tumour you have. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

Take care, don't worry

Bella

• Posted

Hi Bella, thank you so much for your advice. I am 22 years old but been having all the symptoms for the last 3 months feel so tired constantly and this is just another worry to all my other illnesses. I hope it isn't canceress but until I have these blood tests there's not much I can do x
    • Posted

Hi Sophie

These problems can happen any age but 22 is young to have them. I was 24 when diagnosed with a pituitary tumour and I'm 45 now. When you get your bloods taken make sure they are testing your iron, serum ferritin, thyroid, vitamin d, in fact ask for everything possible and also ask for a print out of the results. My hair has been falling out for years but because I was in the range that is acceptable the doctor said there was no problem. It wasn't until I got a copy of the results that I found I am at the lower end of normal for serum ferritin (which maintains hair), iron and vit d so now take supplements. Some people are ok at the lower end of normal but others aren't.

Stay positive

Bella

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.