Doctor's reaction

Posted , 9 users are following.

Last week I made mention to the Dr (not my regular Dr) re the damage Statins have done to me. She said that all disappears as soon as you stop taking the drug. I said well it hasn't with me and I done a lot of research on the internet and she of course said don't believe everything you read on the internet. Has anyone experienced this?

1 like, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There is no definite proof that statins do cause long lasting damage; not yet.

I personally thing that they are 'the devils drug'.

Apart from their ability to lower LDH, there is no evidence that they do anything else.

Whether lowering LDH is always a positive thing, in whatever case, also has never been proved.

I was on statins for about 5 years and did not notice any adverse effects, until I was put on a higher dosage, and then the nightmare started..

• Posted

I was on them for probably 6 years and I just put certain things down to getting a bit older like lost of strength and memory I'm 58, and only questioned a lot of symptoms when my physio mentioned something about it. I too think it's the devils drug. Are you still taking it ?
    • Posted

No, and never will again!

I think that awareness of that drug's potential dangers has to be highlighted, big way.

The medical profession regarding the usefulness of statins itself is divided, but, the pharmaceutical industries are fighting back, because they are the ones to lose most, financially!

• Posted

I have a dear old friend (89) and she told me that a few years ago her dr prescribed statins for her and she didn't bother taking them for no other reason than she couldn't be bothered. The Dr was socially visiting her at her home and asked how she was going with them and she said she wasn't taking them and the Dr said as I am visiting you socially I can say good, they are no good for you but when I'm in my surgery I have to tell you to take them. Interesting. The Dr's know more than they are letting on and it seems they have to follw the party line dictated either by governments or pharm companies.

• Posted

Hello Jane, doesnt that undermine doctor's credibility? how sure I would be if I am sick and he gives me medicines that they are right for me, if he now admits statins are not good while at the clinic, he writes them up for a patient? I have been taking statins for the past 3 years at 10mg. Atoravastatin and have not experienced any adverse effect.  perhaps its the higher dose which gives adverse effects. my cholesterol levels is also down.
    • Posted

I agree with you jenna, I will be questioning everything in future and getting second and third opinions. It does also make me wonder if its the drug companies or the government that the dr's are beholden to. This happened to her in England where they have the national health so it may be a government directive.

• Posted

Hi Jane.  In one way your doctor is correct - do not believe everything you read on the internet.  Mostly because you will only get a very one-sided view, ie the vast majority who have no issues don't bother to comment on the subject.  However, your doctor isn't a sufferer - I am.  I took statins for only a very short time.  They made me so ill I ended up in A&E unable to move.  It was the young registrar in the ER who told me it was the statins causing the problem; I had no idea prior to that what statins could do.  That was six years ago and I still hurt, I still have cognitivie issues but much less than I did whilst I was taking them.  I had no such problems before I started on statins.  I like many others put aches and pains and slight memory loss down to the ageing process - until that is it reached crisis point and an ambulance trip to hospital.  Usch has raised a good point - these drugs lower cholesterol but do nothing else.  They unfortunately lower ALL cholesterol, ie good AND bad.  Excessively low cholesterol is known to be a causal factor in Alzheimers and dementia - not the only cause but definitely a contributory factor.  I also agree with usch's description that they are 'the devils drug' and I wish I had never encountered them or blindly taken my GP's advice to take such poison.
    • Posted

Loxie, I have similiar problems as you have, and I certainly wish I had never taken them either. When I went to see my Dr a year ago and told him I wasn't taking them anymore I braced myself for a lecture but all he said was 'what are you side effects?' and took them down. Him saying nothing spoke volumes to me. So now instead of taking one tablet I am taking about 5 suppliments. I have found CQ10 very good with helping my memory. If I only believed a tenth of what I've read on the internet it would still be cause for worry.
    • Posted

Hi Jane...sorry for your troubles...but your doctor has to see whether your cholesterol levels are worth the discomfort...the benefits may weigh more than the side effects. I have been taking atoravastatin 10mg. for the past 3 years...No side effects at all, besides little foggy but that does not disrupt my life and also my levels are stead from 8 to 6...I have familial hyperchoelsteromia so no matter what I do, my body still produces a lot of cholesterol...surprising during our parents time, there was no cholesterol or HP...now all sorts of diseases are coming which warrants us to stay on meds for the rest of our lives...I wonder where have we gone wrong????
  • Posted

I"ve certainly struck ignorant doctors:   the manufacturers' own info sheets and websites mention permanent nerve/muscle damage.  Maybe you could just email her the links and she can read it for herself?

She's right about not believing everything on the internet, but I'd reckon we can believe the manufacturers, even if they do downplay the frequency and severity of negative effects:  I don't use the term "side" effects because they're not off to the side when we're experiencing them and the term minimises this, not just in relation to statins but other drugs as well.

The influence of drug companies is wide and far reaching:  I happened to pick up a last year's Readers Digest the other day and in a one page "article" (disguised drug company promo?) headed something like "Statins, what's all the fuss about?"  the only "side" effects mentioned were "digestive upsets" .... that mag is read by millions of people worldwide!

• Posted

I so agree with you Jude about using the term 'side effects'.  The damage statins cause cannot in any sense of the term be called side effects.  To me side effects are may make one drowsy or cause nausea -  the muscle damage, liver damage and cognitive loss are in some people much too serious to brush them aside as merely 'side effects'.  There are many life saving drugs which unfortunately cause other damage, but in most cases it's explained fully and the choice is that of the patient.  Treating a life threatening illness such as cancer for example, one may take the view that other debilitating issues is preferable to being terminally ill.  This almost never happens with statins - the 'side effects' (as in the so called article  you mention) are minimised or not even spoken about and cholesterol is now the villain of the piece, when it isn't always so - it depends on the individual.
  • Posted

Hi jane, sorry to hear of your troubles. I was prescribed statin (Lipitor) for high cholesterol. It took 12-18 months before I was beset with ailments: excema, itchiness, gas, aching muscles, inflamed liver, bloating, rfeeling despondent and old and tired. At first couldn't think what it was - then started researching the medication. Horrified! Started weaning myself off and felt much better. Cholesterol raised some, and doctor has just prescribed Ezetrol which has no statins but still a list of side effects that do not comfort me (doctor did not tell me even when I asked, I had to look them up.) I would rather high cholesterol that the poison of statins. Hope you are feeling better.
    • Posted

Hi Wayne, perhaps you should decrease the dose. I am on 10mg. Aterovastatin and it works quite well with me, of course the side effects are there but mild..There are side effects in all medications, but I guess we just live with them for the betternment of our health. I also have gas, itchiness, and sometimes do feel tired and low, but I perk up listening to music or dancing and think positive...try to reduce the dose.....hope it will work for you as well..if you cant win, join.... smile all the best
    • Posted

ps for the past three  years
    • Posted

Thanks Wayne, the whole thing is a minefield isn't it. What did they do before statins?
    • Posted

Don't know that statins stop heart attack, do they? or just lessen the risk

• Posted

yes, but if you stop taking them, you will risk one
    • Posted

Maybe ...  I decided more than a year ago that life wasn't worth living on statins with constant pain, exhaustion and depression and the risk of longterm nerve & muscle damage and that I'd rather risk a second heart attack. I've been using psyllium husks (4 tsp) most days for most of this year and last time I had it checked my cholesterol was slightly down: I'll have it checked again and see if it's continuing that trend.

The problem wtih statins is not only the negative effects but the fact that they're routinely prescribed "preventatively" by many doctors for people with no cholesterol problems, and also that the level at which cholesterol is considered dangerously high has been reduced over the years, on at least one occasion by a US committee which included statin manufacturers.   

Just for the record, I also tried a non-statin cholesterol lowering medication and the same negative effects began to appear:  only my opinion with no medical evidence, but I wonder if the problem is the lowering of cholesterol too far by any means, which according to some sources can cause dementia.

• Posted

I really believe you hit the nail on the head Jude - lowering cholesterol below a 'healthy' level I think is the problem.  Obviously a very high cholesterol level is a high risk factor but the body needs HDL - which in fact LOWERS the risk of heart disease.  The problem with many cholesterol reducing drugs and is that they lower all cholesterol not just LDL - with disastrous consequences.  Instead of lining the pockets of the pharmaceutical industry, funding should be put into getting the medical profession to help people find ways to raise their 'good' cholesterol. HDL removes the lipoproteins from the blood and takes them to the liver to be excreted.  Statins are known to cause liver damage - making this process even more difficult. Thus - statins are actually working against your body dealing with cholesterol normally.  I so agree with you about the dreadful procedure of prescribing statins to otherwise healthy people just 'in case', on the excuse of preventative medicine.  Statins are dangerous damaging drugs - I will accept that in some cases the damage they cause is a necessary evil in people that would otherwise suffer major heart episodes without such intervention but to risk someone's health speculatively is criminally wrong. 
    • Posted

I totally agree with you jude, the side effects just aren't worth it. I have to muscle damage and long term pain and it is starting to depress me and has greatly affect my ability to enjoy life
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that Jane:  it was stories like yours that partly convinced me to stop taking the statins.   How long were you on them and I assume you've now stopped taking them?
    • Posted

I honestly can't remember jude, probably 7 or 8 years.. I was origionally on Lipitor and had a shoulder pain and i told the Dr and he changed me to Crestor. I first noticed losing a lot of hair about 3 years ago and then muscle pain and about 15 months ago I was climbling the stairs from a train station and got nearly to the top and I felt that I wouldn't make it to the top. I mentioned this to my physio and she suggested I watched a documentary on statins, then I did more research and the penny dropped.Physio's see a lot of problems with people that are on statins. Yes I have stopped.

• Posted

Then I'm even more glad I stopped taking them after a bit less than 3 years or I could've ended up with permanent damage as you have done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.