Possibly ruptured plantar fascia for the second time

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had consistent pain for roughly 5 years now from rupturing my plantar fascia during a cheerleading injury. I am now a freshman in college and I am doing much more walking in less supportive shoes around campus. The pain eventually became unbearable and my podiatrist recommended plantar fascitis release surgery during winter break because none of the stretches, ball/bottle rolling, night splint, etc. have worked. Roughly 3 weeks ago I was given a cortisone shot to hold the pain back long enough for me to make it to my surgery. Unfortunately, the pain has now reached a point where I cannot stand and I have to walk on the side of my food, which I also did 5 years ago that led to a stress fracture in my ankle. I have heard and read articles from reliable sources about cortisone shots leading to a rupture. I have not had a traumatic injury and I am unsure of anything else that could cause this to happen again. Please let me know your opinions on the shots. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI,

I too have had similar stories to yours. I am now a junior college athlete suffering from plantar fasciitis in both feel. It has been almost a year now with this issue (started in January). I have had exhausted pretty much any non surgical treatment and just recently had plantar fascia release surgery as a last resort. When I got 2 rounds of cortisone injections they barely had any effect. It felt good after the initally soreness had dissapeared but never seemed to solve my problems. Yes, it is possible that your fascia could rupture if the podiatrist injected right into the tendon. For my case, my podiatrist, who I initally saw about my feet problems, injected into my fascia. Basically I pointed to where it hurt the most and he injected there. I later found out that I possibly ruptured my tendon because of that. When I got my second shot from an orthopedic surgeon he injected cortisone via ultrasound to guide it so that it would place the steroid right inbetween the fascia and the tissues around it. Although, this was the correct way to do the injection I still felt little relief. I have had a PRP shot as well and the surgery like I said. The surgery worked wonders! I am just now starting to get back into running and I am 100% pain free in my left foot (the one that was opperated on). I hope this helps you a little. Let me know if you have any furthur questions.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice and help! I got an MRI last week and the results showed that I had a chronic tear and a large amount of scar tissue. My podiatrist informed me that my foot will not get any better until the surgery is performed so it is scheduled for a week from today! I have heard about wonderful results from multiple plantar fascia release patients so I am hoping for the best! 
  • Posted

I had PRP treatments and nerve ablation done (twice) had PF for two years very very painful...the PRP worked smile but I still need to stretch calves etc....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.