Can this be IBS ?

Posted , 9 users are following.

First apologies for a long post, and thanks for everyone who cares to read. I have been having problems with my gut for 1 1/2 years now and don't even know where to look for answers anymore.

I am 28 and normal weight. Previously I never had any problems with my gut. I never cared too much about my diet, ate anything I fancied and rarely got ill. In fact I even complained that I couldn't burp. When I had a few pints I would feel bloated, full of air but couldn't burp.

Then 1 1/2 years ago I had a 24 tummy bug and after that it all started. When it cleared away I kept feeling nauseous all day. I started burping a lot and felt unwell every day.

After trying different medications that did not work I cut out gluten which helped to ease the symptoms a lot. But now 1 1/2 years the symptoms are still there, on and off they are getting worse and better. I cannot relate it to anything in particular and can't make out when and why it is going to hit me.

Symptoms

I have identified a cycle of symptoms: It starts in the morning when I feel very weak, and light-headed, like I am going to faint any second and also nauseous some times. but it means that I am hungry. When I then eat, I start burping a lot. In bad phases I timed one burp every minute for hours. It is just air, no acid, it is more of a gurgling that comes from the tummy and then air comes up. My tummy gurgles and rumbles all the time too.

When I cannot burp (for example in a meeting) I start feeling very nauseous. A few occasions where the tummy started cramping and I got all shaky as if I was about to throw up, but nothing has ever happened!! I don't get bad tummy pains or constipation & diarrhoea.

The only other thing that happened over the years is that my digestion has changed. Before I used to eat very little and have bowel movements like once every 2-3 days. Now I eat a lot, like all the time so I don't faint and have bowel movements at least once but up to 4 times a day. But I am not sure if that is related to not eating gluten maybe, not gained or lost weight either.

I have had all my bloods done. HPlori test and an upper abdomen scan. All turned out fine, they found a gallstone about 3mm thick but said it was too little to do any harm. I have tried all sorts of different anti-acids stomach tablets travel sickness and "IBS over the counter medicine" but nothing really helped. The doctor says it's IBS but I am not convinced. How can it come so suddenly from no symptoms to gurgling and burping all day long? And how is it that nothing seems to influence it?

Over the passed year I have changed my diet quite a lot but nothing seemed to have affected it at all:

- Cut out gluten strictly (if I accidentally eat it symptoms get really bad)

- Reduced dairy intake

- Stopped smoking

- Stopped drinking alcohol

- Stopped drinking fruit juices and fizzy drinks (just plain water nowawdays)

- Cut down greasy and fatty food

- Cut down sugar and salt

I am running out of ideas and things to try sad Has anybody got any tips what I could try? Or even what it could be? I would go to a private doc too just don't know where to start or what to test/look for.

Thanks a lot!

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have been told you have a gallstone then I would consider having your gallbladder removed.

It may not be causing you much trouble now but if it is thee it can rear it's head at any point.

Also keep to the low fat or even no fat diet, this should help.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks, I wouldn't mind getting it removed, I wonder if they would do it. And reduced fat seems to help too, thanks
  • Posted

I have IBS and mine is the same as you I burp everytime I eat somthing and I have also cut out dairy gluttens no egg except egg whites no soy no caffeine no sugar and I still cant figure out what food is bothering me also no artificial sweetners But also I have bloating and stomach pain.You may want to get tested for SIBO which I had also it involes alot of burping and all sympons of IBS good luck
    • Posted

Thank you!! I will ask them to get the test.

I find that the main trigger is gluten and I also react to fat and acids

but it changes too sometimes all I can eat is GF oatcakes all day :-S

• Posted

Sounds about like what I'm going through mine started 2 years ago and have pretty much the same symptoms as you except I only burp when my stomach is empty and get a slight burning and if I get nauseous that means I'm really hungry but I don't get the normal feelings of hunger anymore or the normal feelings of have to move my bowels until its like right there but never any diarrhea but if I don't sit on the toilet I will get backed up and constipated. Shelly is right on I think I had a SIBO problem a couple years ago and I have been trying to mend my stomach ever since I think I had a candida outbreak in the more I read about it the more it seems what it probably was in my GP agrees as well but no doubt they're out there wants to touch si Bo or candida yeast outbreaks I had cysts in my liver and cyst in my kidney and possibly near my spleen that they call it manual and I have read just recently that yeast outbreaks can cause cysts in different organs and I'm getting really bored that these doctors blow it off all the time. My doc put me on diflucan 100 milligrams for a month to see if it helped me out well it either helped or didn't do much I'm not any worse or any better but I think that those need to be higher look into that let us know. Look up dysbiosis and connect the dots you will notice that it can cause leaky gut syndrome then into malnutrition and poor uptake of vitamins and nutrients and you probably have low iron b12 magnesium and possibly potassium which can give you a lot of symptoms get your blood checked for all those also folate get on a good probiotic, I mean an expensive one and there is gluten in a lot more than you think BBQ sauces soy sauce if you actually have at least a gluten intolerance also cut out the dairy you don't need it anymore you could be lactose intolerant as well good luck
    • Posted

Sorry for the typos I use voice to text it is too much to type on my phone I meant to say near my spleen is a splenual but can be mistaken for a cyst you have to have a good radiologist to most people don't learn but the hard way we spend our money and still get nowhere so I'm going back on the 15th of December I'm going to get to the bottom of it all I will let everyone know what I find.
    • Posted

Thank you! That is really helpful. I am very strickt with the Gluten now and react to the tiniest amount now too. Have also read about candida and asked my doc about it , she said you would be really really ill if you had it .. do you know how that would be treated ?
  • Posted

Have you been tested for celiac disease/gluten intolerance?
    • Posted

unfortunately I started by cutting out gluten and when it helped it was too late for the test. had 2 attempts of bringing it back in and gave up after a week. You have to eat gluten for 6 weeks to be tested for celiac. But now that I have been gluten free for 2 years almost I react very strongly to it, so I know there is an intolerance but don't think it is cealic.
  • Posted

You sound just like me.

i had a tummy bug and also put on two rounds of antibiotics for infections I never had a year and a half ago.

Then the real bad gas started and has now progressed to bloating and pains all around my digestive tract off and on all day long. It's a living hell.

i cry off and on all day. My husband and daughter are so frustrated. 

I have a gastro appoint in a couple of weeks and am TERRIFIED of invasive procedures.

i think sibo and or candida could be behind both our symptoms but try getting a dr to agree these things even exist let alone test for them, they want to do the invasive procedures first then fob you off.

i feel for you/us...

i dread each day now and have become a recluse bcause of it.

• Posted

Going through the same thing if that's what you think it is look up the correct treatment with diflucan and get a months worth or longer and get on it if your liver can handle it let me know if they find any sist anywhere like liver kidney or if you know you have them doctors blow you off I'm about to call them back up and tell them off
    • Posted

It has totally changed me for sure. I used to be an outgoing person and now I dread any places where I can't reach a toilet in 2 min. :-S I think it is a vicious circle though. I feel naueseous all day so when I am somewhere where I can't reach the toilet I get anxious which makes me feel more neauseous if that makes sense.... That's been for 1 1/2 years now so I managed to calm down a bit but still can't shake it off. Have maybe thought about anxiety drugs . Let me know how your gastro appointment goes I am still waiting for my appointment.
  • Posted

Hi sweetcorn. you could ask to get a sehcat scan to test for bile acid malabsorption. this causes urgent frequent bowel movements esp after eating, lots of tummy noise & bubbling, sore rectum, stomach ache, nausea & bloating. i have colitis, ibs-d, fructose malabsorption & bam(bile acid malabsorption) all largely controlled with meds & diet. the meds i take for bam made the most difference to my symptoms. no tummy noise/calm tummy, huge reduction in diarrea & stomach ache, no more sore rectum. its a condition that mimics many other digestive conditions & is often overlooked in as many as 30% of patients with colitis, ibs, crohns etc. hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you! I will test for it, think I need to explore every slightly possible option, and loads of suggestions here , maybe somewhere something will come up
  • Posted

Hi Sweetcorn, hmm it certainly seems like you have ibs type symptoms.  I wonder if you need to take either peppermint or ginger to settle your stomach before you even eat as it may make you feel a little bit more hungry but stop your stomach churning over and over.  I now exactly how you feel as this is how I can feel too!  I think you maybe like me and may have no underlying cause but be stressed which will make you feel worse.  Make sure all your vitamin levels are up to date and that you're not lacking anything in your diet.  I was that's why I know I think unless I have it wildly wrong.  Have you had access to a dietician?  They'll be able to advise you more.  Good luck hopefully you'll find a solution.
    • Posted

Thanks Sam, I wondered if the GP could refer me to a dietician or if it is all private here in Scotland, would certainly help I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.