In need of support maybe ibs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Looking for advice from fellow ibs sufferers, this may seem long but I'm desperate. It's regarding my 7yr son who from day 1 he was born has always had problems with bowels. I knew then at 3 days old he was not right but eventually it took 3 yrs for someone to actually listen that he was lactose intolerant. But still changing his dairy products he still struggles with bowel movements. I've tried the dr so many times and dietician and they just palm me off with laxatives for him to take constantly. His stools are alternate from loose throthy, to dry and firm or constipated. Stools can change within 6hrs and colour of stools. Also there is sometimes fat in stools and loads of undigested food. He also suffers bad breath all the time. We also tried a gluten free diet for 10 days where we did see an improvement in bowel habit. He not intolerant to any foods as we had a blood test done yrs ago and antibodies came back negative.he now been referred to the peadatrician to do a blood test for coeliac. And stool test for imflamation bowel. But dr said it's going to come back clear even though he has not done his test yet. And he seems not bothered. My son has servere speech delay so he can't tell me when he feels rough but he does have mood swings and we notice all the times his constipated he gets aggressive until he does a loose poo. He also falls asleep at school for a couple of days maybe once every couple of mths. Also he can't digest Apple, cabbage, peppers. Cooked carrot. 

does this sound like ibs or am I going crazy. How can I get through to the dr to listen. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

IBS can mimic other conditions so it is important to get his celiac and stool test done to rule these things out.  Food allergy tests may also be useful to pin down any other intolerances you may not be aware of.  You could also try the Fodmap IBS diet to see if illiminating the foods he can't digest give him any relief.

I had an ultrasound, a celiac test and stool samples taken to check for IBD and H Pylori.  All of these were negative.  Eventually my stomach pain, nausea and constipation were diagnosed as IBS.  I have no food intolerances.  

I sympathise greatly with your frustration that doctors are not listening to you.  It took me eight doctors over a three and a half month period to get answers.  Seven of them were useless.

• Posted

Don't give up is my first advice. My son has some similar problems but not quite as severe. My son has dyslexia and possibly dyspraxyia. This could explain the delayed speech. My son also had toilet phobia which meant he was tense when it came to going to toilet. He also suffers from stomach migraines (ibs but won't diagnose until 18 yrs old). Try and not have anything with sacarin in it or other false sugars. Keep away from e number colourings. Orange and blackcurrant are the worst. You will find most cordials and fizzy drinks have sacarin or asputim (spelt wrong). I have found a summer fruits one at Sainsbury's is the only one I could find without. Re diet you need to increase diet but not with complex fibre. Quite a lot of fruit and veg has complex fibre which can agrivate the gut. Peach skins are a prime example, if you peel them not as bad. Try cutting out some and adding them in one at a time slowly. Having breakfast and smaller meals in the day can help. Also no eating within 2hrs of bedtime. Hope it helps!!!
  • Posted

Thanks for responding, looks like it's going to be a big challenge for the diet. As it took me ages to look at the ingredients for lactose. So now a shopping trip will take a few hrs lol. But as for dr not listening we know our own children when things are wrong and it's not like my boy is the 1st child he is the 4th out of 5 ranging from 26 to 5. And he is the only one in our family with the health problems and speech so I blame myself as I took prescription co codimol as I had a slip disc when I was 6mths preggers with him.also even though dr is happy with weight and height. He is still far to short for our family. He is in 5 yr old clothes and has a belly of an 11 yr old where he is always bloated. He now also suffers a lot of allergies with his eyes. And he has a reaction to the spring sun in April where he gets a rash from being exposed to 15 mins of sun. 

Dont know what I'm going to do about spag Bol sauce as that's his favourite meal. Without cooking it from scratch. I will keep pushing it, but I got this feeling it will be down to us parents. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.