Hip and back pain 2 years after surgery. Is it normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My elderly mother (85) had a hip replacement 2-3 years ago. She has regained her mobility, though she is unable to walk any distance without fatigue. Recently she has been complaining of hip and back pain, and fears it may be related to te operation, and that something is not right. She states the back pain is related to the hip pain, so I presume they are close together. What do you think? It's hard for her to consult a doctor as she has little local support (I live on another continent). As such, I wanted to ask opinions here prior to her having to go to a doctor. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peter

Is your mother in the same area now as she was when she had her op ?

If so and she knows whio her surgeon was I would suggest that she contact the hospital and talk to his secretary and explain the problem. They might get her in quick to check out the problem which means she can get an ambulance down there ( paitent transport )

• Posted

The pain is new but not extreme. It is not really in the back apparently, it is actually in the joint where the replacement joint is. So it doesn't sound good. But she is in the habit on sitting in weird positions and sleeps on the neighbours sofa at night. I'm wondering if that is causing it.

Can you tell me, is it natural to have some mild pain much later after the surgery? Or is that unusual?

• Posted

If the pain is in the joint your mother needs looking at peter. It might be an issue with her hip it might not be but it is better her get it checked out than to suffer. I wouldn't have thought it was normal to feel pain in the joint this long after the op unless there was a problem with it no.
  • Posted

hi peter, 

welcome to this forum - 

where does your mother live?    you mention that she sits in weird positions and sleeps on neighbor's sofa ... well, that might cause some back and probably  hip pain - 

I think I would  tell her to go to the doctor and ask for an x-ray - just to make sure that the hardware is in the right position and nothing else is going on ...

It is tough when you live so far away, isn't it?     The best would be if soeone can go with her ...is there something like social services available to her ?

big hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Peter ~ it is a good idea to come to this site for information. My mother too had some complications quite a long time after her replacement with her hip, we found out a piece of bone had chipped off and was 'floating' so your mother really needs to be seen. 

If she is 85 years old there is no way she should be sleeping on a sofa, why is she doing that? Is she afraid to be alone?

Your mother sounds like she is in need of support and care, and sounds quite vulnerable. Is there any way you could visit her and line up some proper care whilst here? I appreciate you do not live in the same country ~ but possibly could come for a visit. The UK have plenty of services for older people but they do take time to organise, and you could help her to see the consultant etc all at the same time.

I hope she gets better soon 

Best wishes

Rose 

• Posted

Have you got your mother's doctor's telephone or

email. Also can the neighbour help with info. It might

be nothing to do with her hip, but her consultant should

see her once a year. Maybe with more information you

will know when to visit. At 85 years your mother will be

a very proud, but elderly lady, who would not ask for help

from you. We tend to appear more independent than we are.

Ask her outright how you can best help her. Old age can be

a very lonely place to be.

Cathie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.