Dislocation/infection fear

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a THR on Aug 10th. I can't seem to be getting over this surgery. I've been having severe rib pain from a possible rib fracture that probably happened about 8 weeks ago. Dr's are trying to figure out why this rib thing started. I feel like I'll never feel good again. It's been one thing after another.  A painful rash that lasted for a month, staples that were never removed initially and found 3 months after the surgery, nightmares and anxiety.  I think part of the anxiety problem is from  the constant pain and my fear of dislocation/infection. I was so surprised when the surgeon told me the precautions I would have to take for the rest of my life. Is it just me? How do you get on with your life? I'm 68 so not worried about anything real physical. Just want to stop worrying about doing anything to cause it to dislocate. I think once the rib pain has resolved I'll be better but does anyone else worry about dislocation months after surgery. Surgeon said everything looks good in the hip. I just want to move on with my life.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Carol,

Sounds like you have been through quite a bit over the last few months.  I'm not sure what lifelong precautions your doctor wants you to take.  Normally there are very few precautions after you have completely healed.  You stated that you have an unexplained rib fracture. Is your doctor concerned with your overall bone health?

• Posted

Hi Riley,

I've been told to always sleep on operated side with pillow between knees, avoid twisting, don't raise leg to put on shoes and socks, don't bend over - use golfer's reach or squat., don't cross operated leg over other leg and be careful not to carry things over ten lbs. be very careful if I ever have anything that could get infected, which became a concern when  the staple was found after 3 months.I also have spinal stenosis and a herniated disc so this probably does not help. Dr thinks the disc might be causing rib issues. Still waiting for MRI results. Overall bone health is something I think we'll need to discuss. Thank you for responding. It helps to know others care.

• Posted

Hi carolw

I am 68 too so  e must have a lot in comon. I must admit I do get anxious myself and I am on medication to help me get over that. So many unfortunate things have happened over the years that I do tend to take a "what if?" attitude to life. Some people seem to sail through life but others have a rough passage. I am one of the second group I'm afraid.

I had my THR on 17th September but it was slightly complicated by having to have a bone graft at the same time (long story). I do feel a lot better to be honest but we are sorting out my in-laws' house and contents so there is a lot of packing and our home life is a bit disrupted at the moment. Hip aches a fair bit now but not like before op.

I am trying to get back to how I used to be but that is just never going to happen.

The muscles have gone weak and useless and if I try to make them work harder I just end up being poorly and exhausted. Still limping unless I use a stick.

Your rib pain must be worrying and tiring too.Hope the doctors get to the bottom o it for you. That would reassure you maybe.

As to dislocation, I think it is a very small chance. Do we know anyone who has dislocated a hip replacement? No-one on this website so far has said so.

Living in fear is a horrible feeling. Wish medical people would play it down a bit more. I feel they are covering their backs so that if anything happens they can say, we told you it might happen if you weren't careful.

Like you I want to move on with my life but it is not as easy as that.

Is my mental attitude slowing my recovery?

Hugs,

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Shirley,

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. I was in pain before the surgery, but felt optimistic about life after surgery. Now I feel like I'll never be better. I talked to my Dr about it and she feels it will just take time. I think once this rib pain in resolved I'll be OK. I hope things improve for you. Thank you for responding. It helps to know you're not alone.

• Posted

Carol - are you doing your leg exercises to strentgthen up you muscles in your buttocks and legs, yes I know for you probably a nightmare. You can find Post THR exercises, look for the ones that come from a hospital web site, most of them read almost exactly the same. I think its the repitition  not the amount of pain you can cause yourself, Physio told me until you feel the pull, and no more. Yes I have looked, otherwise would not be telling about this source. Has the GP strapped you up around your ribs, again old fashioned cure for rib fractures, but might help with pain. Surgeon telling you about precautions, is an idiot, what he should have said is you will need to keep up the strength of your muscles for the rest of your life, then the chance of dis-location is hugely reduced, infection if you haven't had one to date unlikely. I am 9 months since second hip replacement, I twist, I bend over and touch my toes, one of my exercises the physio has given me is, on my back, knees to my chest, grab my knees and pull in. That exercise is NOT ONE you could do early after THR, even I was cautious and a little scared the first time, and mentioned the 90% rules, he laughed. No dislocations. Pain cannot be helping you recover, you start to think, and that a bad idea if you suffer from anxiety, remember the part of your brain Amigdulla, (spelling) that its first priority is to bring up all the doom and gloom, and that was a life saver when there was a sabre tooth tiger outside your cave, but today, chin up dear lady, it will get better, promise, having been there twice over and possible third time to look foward to, YES I would do it all over again.
    • Posted

Sounds as though you have been "over warned." I would say slowly does it until you feel more confident about your new hip.  Such things as jogging are not recommended as they are high impact.

Continue to post and gain the advice and confidence from other post ops on the site.

All the best,

Susie

• Posted

Hi Lyn.

i did 6 weeks PT before the surgery and just finished 6 weeks. I do the exercises but it's been a challenge because of trying not to cause more injury to the ribs. I feel good when not in pain from that but unfortunately doesn't happen too often. Thank you for your support. This forum is a blessing because I don't personally know anyone who has had this surgery, so no one to talk to. So far only stories from acquaintances who know people with dislocations and severe infection to hip, resulting in sepsis and death. Ugh! 

• Posted

Dear Carol - You have a big group of us here, and we are all listening and reading to the good the bad and the ugly. I have had a whinge session, and it helped downloading my fears and anger in writing on this site. Go for it girl, sounds to me like you are doing very well. Remember its a marathon not a sprint.
  • Posted

Hi carol

My surgeon said he had never had a dislocated hip in the many years he had been doing thr

I think you have got yourself into panic mode and maybe you could have a word with a physio to help ease your mind.

It must be awful being in so much pain but keep doing exercises if possible.

Hoping you feel better soon

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Hi carol

My surgeon said he had never had a dislocated hip in the many years he had been doing thr

I think you have got yourself into panic mode and maybe you could have a word with a physio to help ease your mind.

It must be awful being in so much pain but keep doing exercises if possible.

Hoping you feel better soon

Take care

Kate x

• Posted

Carol,

Based on everything I've read and experienced, the physical precautions your doctor recommends are only temporary.  Doctors do worry about infections traveling to the hip and recommend a preventative antibiotic before dental work or any surgery.  It's unfortunate that you are also dealing with other health issues, probably the reason for your restrictions.  As a fellow hippie, I understand your anxiety and frustration.  Other hippies have told me not to get discouraged, to be kind to myself and be patient.  It will get better.  Please let me know how things go with your recovery. I wish you the best.

• Posted

Dear Carol, 

That is a lot to deal with and I don't blame you for being so worried - I agree with all the lovely responses here - it is a fabulous group - 

Are you still taking medication for the pain ? Have you discussed your fears and anxiety with your doctor? Sometimes the anaestetic given during surgery can stay in the body (effecting the mind) for up to a year - 

Is the rib  fracture a firm diagnosis? What were you told ? were there x-rays taken? Apologies for all these questions ...broken rib is so painful and to be in constant pain is depressing and exhausting -

Great to know that the new hip is looking good - just trust that it so - 

infection is something we need to be aware of for the rest of our lives because of the implant - healing is still taking place and will for a while - 

All the other restrictions are pre-cautions at this time - not forever - and they are sensible considering what you are dealing with in addition to the new hip ....

It is going to be all right , darling - Honestly, I don;t remember how it feels to be "normal" as I have been gradually getting worse over 4 years ... Now is good!

Have faith - 

Big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Renee,

Sorry for the late response. I've been waiting for results of MRI but won't get those until I meet with surgeon next week. My GP feels pretty certain it's a broken rib. The surgeon who did the THR doesn't think that should have happened with a movement in bed. Hopefully, MRI will help diagnosis.

i'm trying to manage the pain with ibuprofen and tylenol. I have some stronger medication but it started giving me headaches and can't drive while using it. The ribs are feeling a little better but pretty bad by the end of the day. I don't know why I feel so awful.  No energy, sore all over, weird dreams at night, so moody, sick.   I feel like a completely different person than before I had the surgery and that I'll never be myself again and it's almost 4 months. I've had so many tests and nothing showing up (which is good), but I want my old self back. I've never suffered from depression and didn't have any problem with surgery that was done in 2014. I used to be so happy. Now so discouraged. I have an appointment next week with GP next week also to try to figure this out.

Thank you all so much for your support. It helps more than you know. I have a wonderful husband, who is worried and frustrated and children who worry about how poorly I look. I know I needed to do this surgery and keep telling myself it is just going to take time- I hope.

• Posted

Hi carol.

How are you this morning? How is your rib pain?

I am finding I have a bit of pain on my "good" side now as I am moving about more and exercising a bit more each day.

How mobile are you? Can you get to a swimming baths? I am not suggesting you go swimming but I find sitting in the warmth of the jacuzzi does me a power of good.

Alternatively sit in a nice warm bath for a long soak.

Have you got help? Have you got plenty of pain killers? I know broken ribs are very painful because a relative suffered from  that after an accident once.

Thinking of you and sending mental get well wishes.

Shirley

• Posted

Hi Carol

I'm so glad you posted. This is the place for it! You've had lots of things going wrong, one after the other and it can get very depressing.

I have had that too over the last 10 years, and it's played with my mind. I have been living in fear, and when I'm in pain it reminds me that the world is not safe, anything can happen. When I get rid of the pain I can forget a little about the things that have gone wrong.

So it sounds to me like this cracked rib is really causing you distress. Renee asked some good questions, and behind that I think she was saying it's worth dealing with it effectively. Which you may already be doing.

When the surgeon told me about the restriction I thought he meant the rest of my life too. (I considered not going through with the surgery, but quickly discarded that idea because it was obvious I couldn't live with my hip anymore.) But as I researched on the internet I realised the restrictions are only for 6 weeks. Then they want you to get moving.

During surgery they have to stretch the ligaments that hold the hip in place. But after 6 weeks the ligements have healed so you can begin to go back to normal. I've included a graph that shows how likely a dislocation is at the number of weeks post op.

So I'd encourage you to stretch the hip just a little each day to reassure yourself that nothing is going to happen. Life will get better. Little things may still happen, but the ribs will heal and you will be able to move without dislocation.

Keena

All the best

• Posted

Love the graph, keena - 

where did you get this information? 

• Posted

It's a good one isn't it. I do understand why doctors give us information in the form of 'rules', but I am very likely to break those rules. If they told me the reasons behind those rules, well then I may be a little more compliant.

This comment will be moderated and take a while to get through. That's why I didn't post the original link but the whole article is a good one.

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dislocation-risk-and-90-degree-rule.10181/

• Posted

Hi Kikeena

Thanks. Now I have read alll about the dislocation risk I completely understand it. Wish one of the doctors had explained it a bit more at the time. I totally get it now and realise that the longer after the op then the less risk there is.

I have a feeling that once you start dislocating then the risk is higher and higher with each dislocation. A friend whose mother-in-law had a new hip managed to dislocate it 16 times. She told me about it just before I had my op and totally scared me to death. Hon estly, what are friends for?

Now I understand the mechanics I can see why the rules are there and it is best for us if we stick to them.

• Posted

Hi Shirley

I understand why they give us rules but I do wish for more information. Glad it helped.

Keena

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.