Any scientific studies correlating weather to arthritis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've read that there is no definitive evidence linking arthritis to climate; only evidence linking arthritis to changes in barometric pressure. I live in Northern California on the ocean: temperate climate, not a lot of dramatic weather changes. My hips, knees and back are in constant pain here. But when I travel to warm climates (doesn't seem to matter whether humid or dry), I have no pain whatsoever.  I don't want to take life-long medication or have surgery; should I actually consider moving, even though doctors don't believe there's a scientific benefit to warm weather?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa; I tend to agree with you........a real example for me was many years ago, when spending time with my mother (when she was leaving us), so you can imagine the EXTRA energy, and no rest time, that this time required...........I normally live on the coast of Queensland, Australia, and notice ALL weather changes, and expecially humidity/rain events....but when I spent 1 week in Central QLD, at this particular time, I really amazed myself how much I could do, with no pain from my OA...(but found that it didn't take long to return, when I came home within the week).....so, yes, I do feel that Dryer climates are beneficial, (this also applies to my Fibro, as this too, did not play up as much as simple stressors of daily life, affect me at my home)..................I have considered whether it would be beneficial to move to these areas, too.............but just can't expect to uproot my husband, his work, and leave my children behind (family always come first for most of us)...........I tend to try and travel with husand if he goes to work for long periods, and there is suitable accommodation for me, as well..............hoping that this gives you some thoughts???.......................Bron
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

I live in south Florida, tropical climate. It doesn't prevent my arthritis from inflicting pain. I wish it did!

• Posted

I live in the UK and my pain is exactly the same no matter what the weather.
  • Posted

I live in the UK and find that i have pain all year round and every day. Even in the summer i still suffer.
  • Posted

I haven't found any results that support this. I live in the Uk and when I used to suffer badly in the winter I would go to Spain for a week or so and pain seemed to lessen once I got some sun. Maybe it was relaxing and walking more or even the sangria, I don't know but it definitely made a difference.
    • Posted

There are studies that support the fact that patients with arthritis suffer the same in the summer months exactly the same as in the colder climate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.