Almost unknown side effect of Amiltriptyline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Having suffered severe sciatica for months my GP put me on Amiltriptyline to aid sleep and help pain. I was on this for 3 weeks and it was working when I suffered "Sudden Onset Acute Angled Closure Glaucoma" in my right eye and admitted to hospital as an emergency. The symptoms flared within 24 hours and I was hours away from losing my eye from the excessive pressure. Thankfully I was seen and had laser eye treatment in time to save my sight but the Eye Clinic told me that the trigger was Amiltriptyline. I must add that this is something I would have been prone to owing to my eye shape and narrow drainage channels  and no GP could have anticipated this when prescribing. So look after your eyes, have regular eye checks especially when between 60 & 70yrs old. Hopefully no-one else will go through the trauma I have been through. Try to go to a thoroughly trained Optician rather than some of the Franchise operations now on most High Streets. Ask if they know about my condition especially if you are on Amitriptyline. Believe me it is very rare that this happens but I do feel patients should be aware of it. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

This is very interesting elizabeth and something everyone who takes Amitriptyline should be aware of. I take 50mgs at night for severe pain due to osteoarthritis so I will be taking your advice. Thank you.
    • Posted

I also suffer severe pain due to osteoarthritis so Amitriptyline seemed to be the answer to that and sciatica. It is a shame that I can never take it or anything similar again because it does work for most patients. I am pleased that you will now be able to ask the right questions and look after your eyes properly. Remember to write down the condition of "Sudden Onset Acute Closure Gaucoma" to ask specifically if you could be prone to it as there are other forms of Glaucoma that may not be affected by Amitriptyline. I have no wish to scaremonger, merely to bring this connection to light. If I have helped one person I am glad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.