Self harm

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help, I have just found out my 14 year old daughter has been self harming. How can I help her? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You need to get her into counseling asap.  My son was a cutter for a while.  He hasn't cut for 3 yrs.  While the pros say that cutting and self harm is not a suicidal action (I disagree) they could accidentally cut a major vein.  Monitor the music she listens to.  Marilyn Manson, freak of the universe, even has a razor on the tip of his microphone and will cut in concert.  We have to protect them from scums like him.  Also assure her that you're not judging her, that you just want to help. I hope this helped a little
    • Posted

Thank you, it helps just knowing there's someone out there that understands  xx
  • Posted

It might be an idea to contact Mind as they have "understanding" booklets and they may have one of self harm - they are very interesting , easy to read - clear . Also the fact that you are there for her , care about it is good , there must be a reason why she feels the need to do it but may feel she can not tell you herself ,have a chat with her school , also her doctor who should be able to refer you both for therapy to get to the bottom of the problem , take care to you both xx
    • Posted

Thank you, she has a doctors appointment tomorrow. I work in a school and spoken to our parent support adviser and school social worker. xx

• Posted

That is good , thinking of you both and hope you get a result with the doctor tomorrow , self harm is so common sadly these days xx
    • Posted

Yes it is to common unfortunately. xx Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.