Living in Oxshott - who else here with this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My husband has just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia Rheumatica - we live in Oxshott.  Wierdly our neighbour has been diagnosed this month too with the same thing. Both of them are really in a bad way. I'm interested if anyone else locally is having issues?  Paranoid something in the water! or just a coincendence?

​Also any advise welcome we've had very little to date, and we're worried.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Here a link to a load of links 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/pmr-gca-website-addresses-and-resources-35316

which, as well as lots of information sources, also includes the support charity sites which have lists of local support groups.

You are very lucky - the nearest to you is in Chertsey, is absolutely superb and their leading light is a member of this forum so she'll be along soon I imagine!

Don't worry - once they get onto a decent dose of pred things will look up a lot! No - clusters do appear from time to time, there is some evidence that there is a seasonal link but generally it is a load of factors and eventually one trips the switch and PMR appear. Some people claim their flu shot did it - I'd never had one in my life!

I'm a bit short of time just now but do your homework, maybe contact the Chertsey group, and come back to ask more specific questions.

I assume they are under the GP at present? One of the top PMR/GCA rheumatologists is in Chertsey if they do get referred.

• Posted

You're in the right place......I've learned so much and gotten so much

good advice here.  My doctor didnt give me a lot of info when

diagnosed.....I told him not too long ago about this site and how much I

had learned....hope he recognized a subtle complaint......

• Posted

Hi allie, nothing to do with the water, just bad luck. I used to live in Bookham for 25 years with no signs of PMR trouble but then moved to The New Forest in Hampshire. Its a small village but I know of 7 people here that have or have had PMR. Listen to people like Eileen on this forum and you will not go wrong. Good luck to you and your hubby. Dave (tavidu)
  • Posted

Hi Allie

I live a few miles from you in Ashtead. I've had PMR and now GCA, but can't blame where I live, probably more likely to have something to do with being Danish! Scandinavian genes are recognised as culprits in many cases of PMR/GCA.

There is a great Surrey support group which meets in Chertsey every couple of months. We usually have a speaker on a topic of interest to PMR/GCA sufferers, but it's also great to be able to talk to fellow sufferers.

If you are interested in finding out more, do contact:

pmrgca.Surrey@talk talk.net

Susanne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.