Can you get any stronger anti-depressants?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have been on fluoxetine 20mg capsules 1 a day but I am finding that they have no effect whatever.  Can anyone suggest any stronger anti-depressents out there?  Obviously I shall be speaking to a GP.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi orange

is this the only antidepressant you have tried so far? If so how long have you been oon it? I would check with my gp if there was scope to increase the doseage first before trying a new one. It's dependent on have you given it enough time to work.

i know how exhausting and frustrating it can be waiting for antidepressants to do the job!

Warmest wishes to you x

• Posted

Only a couple of months but I know when medication is effective and im not feeling any difference.  I know you get told to persevere for months before the medication is meant to kick in.
    • Posted

Hi I really think it's worth increasing your dose before switching meds. If your dose is too low you will feel like it's not working. Have you got an appointment due with your doctor? It's worth getting their viewpoint as you won't feel better if you are on an incorrect dose.

god bless

Lorraine x

• Posted

When I started sertraline I took 100 mg a day.  After a couple of months it wasn't helping so I told the doctor and she increased it to 150 mg a day.  I found this made a world of difference so it may well be the same with you.  Go back to your doctors.  x
  • Posted

Yes I am going back in a few weeks time.
  • Posted

I have also been on fluoxetine 20mg capsules and found they never helped me either. Maybe try go back to the doctors and see if they could up your doseage or change pill. I hope it all works out for you, best of luck. Tina.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.